Anemone for Percular clowns

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Shanie, 2 Mar 2008.

1. Shanie

Shanie

Hi Guys,
    i live in Cape town.
    I do spearfishing.
    What anemone can i dive out for my Clowns.
    pics would be appreciatted if you could
    Thanks
    Shanie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Hello Shanie. Honestly, I would advise against getting an anemone for your clownfish. The main reason being anemone's require absolute pristine water conditions. This is harder to achieve in a nano, especially for a beginner like yourself (i'm not going to attempt it for at least another year myself). Anemone's also appreciate much brighter light than most nano's can provide.

Don't worry about your clownfish as they do not require an anemone to be happy. My clownfish host in a frogspawn coral, and are happy as anything. Some people have found their clowns host all sorts of things, open brains, torch corals, even powerheads and algae scrapers!

So if I were you i'd leave out the anemone for now. Check out this thread on what other corals etc MASA members clowns host in

4. cybervic

cybervic

Hi, there is no anemone in Cape Town that will live in a tropical reeftank. Below are the anemones that Perculas are suppose to accept. Why do I say suppose? Well any clown might accept almost any anemone with a few exceptions (there are always exceptions to the rule). <Flame guard on> Anemones are not for beginning aquarists and need a stable healthy system with the correct amount of light and flow for the species you intend to keep. <Flame guard off>

Carpet anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

viper357 likes this.
  5. cybervic

cybervic

I'm of the believe that clowns damage LPS corals if they host in them. I'd rather have them host in a "bush" of Anthelia or Xenia then.

6. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Morning Wikus, I think you are right, however I have spoken to my clowns about this several times and they just wont listen:p

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have two clowns being hosted by a Heliofungia and the coral is thriving, actually growing quicker than any other coral in my tank. The clowns also "target" feed the coral.

8. cybervic

cybervic

In a healthy tank I might be able to change my opinion :)

9. mike Bushie

mike Bushie

The clowns will destroy your LPs especially if they host it all day like mine did. but if you can try put your LPS higher (as high as possible) in your tank they don't like hosting close to the surface i did that with my torch and they leave it alone and the torch is doing fantastic

Recent Posts