Anemone for a nano

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting an anemone for my pair of Amphiprion Ocellaris

I would really like to have an anemone/clownfish relationship in my nano.
But all the anemones i know of are either to big for my nano or unsuitable for my clowns:( , I have read somewhere that in the absence of other host anemones they will acept the bubble tip anemone.

Any suggestions for a host anemone or an alternative host would be appreciated.

A sand anemone might be an alternative for you to look at, they stay at the bottom of your tank and like to dig themselves into your substrate, hopefully the clowns will host in it. The sand anemone's also seem to be 'slightly' more forgiving with regards to lighting requirements.

What lights have you got in your nano?

Oh, welcome to the forum :)

Welcome Dolphinfriendly

Why not give your clowns a coral to host in. Heliofungia or Pincushion

52847bc7cd3ee1b2.jpg

Im not sure how to describe the power of the lights,
but it says that they are T5 in PL and 18Watt 1000K X2,
I think I have 2 tubes actinic blue and 2 tubes ocean white.
There are altogether 4 tubes in the hood.

As for the sand, its fine coral sand and about 2 cm deep.

It is safer not to put an anemone in a nano, unless you plan a species tank. Then I would suggest a bubbletip and also regular feedings, as the lights of standard nano's are not suitable for anemones. I would not suggest a LPS like Heliofungia unless you really know what you are doing. The pincussion leather on the other hand, is a very good replacement. Lower light requirements and easier to care for imho.

Welcome DF :D

Welcome to MASA DolphinFriendly! Hope you enjoy our company! Please start a thread on the "New Members" forum introducing yourself to us? Tell us about your tank, yourself, and pics will DEFINITELY be welcome!

hi - clowns do not need a nennie at all and will happily host with many different types of coral when they see fit - i have personally seen clowns host in other coral when there was a perfectly good nennie in a tank

nennies require very good water and light and when they die, they will take the whole nano with them due to the reduced water vol. you need mh for a nennie although T5's will work.

i do not advise a nennie in a nano as even expert marine aquarist had probs with a nennie

A leather coral sounds good.
Anything I should know about them, what kinds do you suggest, how big are they.

A leather coral sounds good.
Anything I should know about them, what kinds do you suggest, how big are they.

LPS corals do not do well with leathers in small tanks, because leathers give off toxins that either inhibit growth or slowly kill LPS corals. You can keep leathers with things like zooanthids, star polyps, Xenia, Anthelia or mushrooms. They grow quick in the right conditions and will forgive you for momentary lapses in water quality (Be careful some species of leathers are sensitive to water quality, but most are forgiving).

Dunno what more there is to say:p

Good luck with your nano

Back
Top Bottom