Urgent help needed Anemone dying or dead

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Landu, 25 Oct 2010.

1. Landu

Landu

Got home during lunch, found Nennie on floor, water milky with pieces of slime floating and clowns lost and without home. When i picked it up, it still had some reaction but didn't close, should i flush him or can i save it???:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

doesnt sound good, if its not sticky and its mouth is gaping is usually a give away of poor condition, but if you say its already breaking up into pieces then its long gone, i would remove it asap, it will poison your tank if left longer

4. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

What a sad day it is....None of it broken of yet, but excreting white slime in water.
    Is it safe to say it's over?

5. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Thanks for quick response...
    will go get rid of it now...:(

6. flamming angel

flamming angel

Sorry to hear that dude.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Landu, sorry bad news.
    How long did you had the anemone?
    How old is your tank?
    If tank is less than at least 8 months, please do not get yourself another anemone.
    Clown fish really do not need an anemone.

8. rakabos

rakabos

Hard to tell without more info.

Water parameters, other coral/fish ok ? etc

Any recent changes to the tank apart from the fact that u moved it all over to the new tank a few weeks ago ?

9. boetie

boetie

gooi weg ,i lost all mi fish with the same story

10. magman

magman

I think you could of waited a bit for Brenda, it could of been having a dump or purging, about a year ago I nearly lost my carpet, I was waking up every night at 3am for a week to check if it was dead yet, the carpet is fine to this day

11. Anemone

Anemone

I wouldn't have gotten rid of it just yet. Water parameters, a picture, equipment list, etc. may have helped us help you save the anemone. If there was some reaction, it is possible it could have been saved. Before you go out and get another anemone lets try to figure out what went wrong with this one.

12. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Man this sucks!

I've had my tank just over 8 months, the Nennie for 3months, in which time it fed perfectly, hosting 3 percula clowns. (it was about the size of 22 open hands - my most prized piece:()

MY concern was that while mucas was being excreted and water became milky/murky the fish started to look bad, as soon as i got it out and the water cleared up, the fish and rest of the inhabitants got back to normal. Also there was a bit of a rotten smell to it.

Rest of fish are now looking as good as ever, and green monti cap is looking fine, just the xenia lying flat and shrivelled...

ONly things that changed was i started dosing calsium, epsom salt(magnesium) and bi-carb(KH buffer) in small quantities(like 2ml of each to my 300L setup)...

Salinity and temp as per usual 26C and 1.024.
    Rest i haven't tested as i was trying to get the slime and milkiness sorted first.

Not planning on getting another nennie soon:(

13. Anemone

Anemone

Did the anemone bleach during this time?

The dosing may have contributed, but it is impossible to say without having actual test results or knowing when you last dosed before the problem occurred. Definitely test before you dose, and use one of the on-line dosing calculators to help you determine the correct amount to dose.

Another possibility is a spawning event, either from the anemone or possibly something else in the tank. Spawning can pollute water quickly, and anemones are typically one of the first to suffer. If you see this again and it is not related to dosing, I would lean towards a spawning event…..do a large water change and run some fresh carbon.

Also anemones do better when kept at a salinity of 1.026.

14. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Landu,

one of the rules is you should not dose anything if you cant measure the parameters you wish to modify.

How were your magnesium, calcium, pH and KH values as a result of your dosing?

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Was this in your new tank that you have just set up?

16. Mr_G

Mr_G

shame... Im sorry to hear... Hard to keep them happy... My long tenticale is happy as can be, after I feed it it stands up and wave its tenticales, like it is saying thanx...lol... And then I stand before my tank, like a proud father whose sun just scored the winning try for the Sharks against WP...hehe... Weird what fish tanks does to one hay... Good luck bud... Let us know the parameters

17. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

I moved from my old 170L tank to new 250L tank 3weeks ago yes, will check parameters tonight as soon as i get home adn advise tomorrow.

Your tank becomes like your kid, so it's always very sad.
    Thanks for all the sympathy, wish i was part of forum before i started and got worked for quick sales at Petshop...damn.

Apparently if the nennie is white it's always bleached, the Petshop guy called it a purple tip nennie- it was white with pink tips, long tenticales.

18. Anemone

Anemone

The white anemone, new tank, and dosing may have all contributed to the rapid decline of the anemone. If you would have had a healthy anemone to begin with, the decline in the anemone may not have been as severe.

Now that you’ve found this site, take your time and ask questions before making any future purchases. Research everything you are told at the LFS. Remember they are there to make money.

It is often difficult to find a healthy anemone at a LFS. Harvesting and shipping is very harsh on anemones. Most LFS don’t have the resources available to them to give anemones the appropriate environment and recovery time (often months) that is needed before making them available to the public. When an unhealthy anemone has been purchased, room has been made for another anemone to be harvested from the ocean only to arrive in the same condition as the previous.

19. Anemone

Anemone

Double post

Last edited: 26 Oct 2010
Recent Posts