Anemone disasters

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by viper357, 28 Jul 2009.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi all, if anyone has any photo's of anemones being sucked into powerheads then can you please post some photo's in this thread so as to illustrate the dangers of a wandering anemone and powerheads in a tank, no discussions or shouting at anyone that this has happened to please, this thread is purely to illustrate to both new and old reefers about the dangers or risks that are present with these anemones and our unprotected pumps/powerheads. Thanks.:)

I'll start with some pics of my experience.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Shredded anemone after being sucked into a SEIO M1100

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My skimmer went beserk for a few hours until it eventually settled back down and started skimming normally again.

[​IMG]

Thankfully I was very lucky and caught this early, the anemone survived it's ordeal.

4. Andreas

Andreas

wow when did this happen?are these pics from your algea farm tank?:p

Glad it survived:)This is the only thing that has stopped me from getting an anenome

5. Jaak

Jaak

Geesh, put a PG rating on this thread. It's painful to look at these pics...;)

6. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

Back in the days when i didnt know better i had a very powerful powerhead, one of those with the basket on the bottom. It sucked my anenome into the basket twice, fortunatley never through the basket, but the basket has 1mm strips for the water to go through and the anemone was half in the basket and half out, was sucked through like 8 slots each time. Everytime it happened i would have to remove the basket from the powerhead and leave it in the display tank so that the anenome was able to pull itself right again, coz i could never get it out.

7. viper357

Yes Andrea, this was many moons ago in my old 2m tank.

8. werner5

werner5

intresrting tagging along :biggrin:

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Glad the anemone survived...

10. viper357

Anybody got any pics?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Maybe not as frequent an occurrence as spoken about ??

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Very frequent Warr - it happened to me twice in 3 years. Last time was a few months ago. It was FAR FAR too painful to takes pics. My prized regal died.

13. seank

seank

I doubt anyone will run for a camera when he/she finds a nennie stuck in a power head- I suppose everyone will run for the plug switch, and then check the skimmer,go to the Forum for advice etc.............................. And Then You get Dean :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. Andreas

Andreas

:lol::lol:I was thinking the same thing.He probably ran for the camera first:whistling:

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had a small little rock anemone that decided to stay on my SunSun powerhead. The one part that is solid, Well it was fully extended, happy.
    Well I did not wait for him to wonder and maybe get suck in. So I moved him.

16. FransSny

FransSny

Eina....when it happened to me about a year ago the last thing i could think of was the camera.

Viper I can give you a pic of my wandering long tentacled anemone (he just doesnt like sitting still for too long)

17. inflames

inflames

How safe are the sun sun pumps compared to other brands that need some modifications done if you plan to keep a nennie? Or are ALL pumps a potential disaster waiting to happen?

18. crispin

crispin

i have a pic from another reefers tank, but not great quality....i'll dig them out for u :)

Warr i think this happens more than is spoken about, just less with forum memebers than with general reefers who have tanks but are not on forums. Just my thoughts anyway

19. Falcon

Falcon

well it happens to us all,and unfortunately i think none of our tanks can ever really be nemmie safe.

On saturday afternoon when i closed shop at 1 o'clock my magnifica was fully opened and looking awesome.When i got to work this morning One of my worst anemone fears half came true!theres no power heads in the tank as it supposed to be a nemmie safe tank but it found the over flow and well the head was stretched over while the base was attached i'll post the pics just now eish these damn nemmies just cant wait to move :(

20. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

In attempting to make my new tank nennie safe, I will run a full CLS. The intakes to the CLS pumps from the tank will be achieved by haveing two holes at the bottom of the tank. These will be covered with mesh and eggcrate, and over all of this I will pack all my live rock. :thumbup:

The entire rear pane of glass is shorter than the rest, so the entire back panel serves as a overflow into a box with two holes in them. Even this overflow will be closed off with mesh, so nothing can get into the overflow holes.:)

A nennie wanting to hurt itself inside my tank would really have to WANT to get hurt to do it, as there really is no way of anything happening there. My worst fear is a nuked tank!!! :p

Recent Posts