Anemone being hosted too agressively?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Coves, 19 Jan 2011.

1. Coves

Coves

I am very concerned about my new bubble tip anemone that I picked up over the weekend. It stayed on a nice shelf near halide lighting and seemed very happy, but then my larger maroon clownfish started hosting it and wouldn't leave it along, day or night... the anomone held up for a couple of days but then moved under a rock and opened up again.... last night he shrunk up again, so I am assuming it will try to find another spot in the tank that will keep it away from constant hosting....

In releationship, the clownfish is twice as big as the anemone. Is my anemone doomed to aggressive hosting?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Before you read anymore of this you need to know I have no idea what I am talking about as I have never kept an anemone but logic says that if your clown is bigger than the anemone then you are going to have a problem :(

4. Dane

Dane

Unfortunately, maroon clowns are a particularly aggressive species. If its taking a knock I'd suggest you fashion a cage to fit around it to protect it from the clown. Some sort of plastic mesh? Maroons can be absolute monsters!

5. Hermanus

Hermanus

Give us more detail on your system and water guilty. What MH do you have and a picture of the Nennie so we can see in What condition the nennie is.

I will try and remove the clown if it is to big or take the BTA back to the LS.

But lets just see What the nennie looks like,if it is bleached or not.How old is your tank?

6. Suhayl

Suhayl

I hate to see nennie die inside a tank, that can foul your water pritty quickly. I hope you have some extra water ready for water changes and run some carbon too. Good luck.

7. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Sounds like everyone is confirming that the anemone is not going to survive, that I have to pick between my maroon clown and anemone... unless I can separate the 2... not a good choice, since the clown has a personality that would be missed, he even tries to host the green star poylups... I believe my water quality parameters are in good order at this point but do need to pick up additional testers

Thanks everyone for their comments, I'm going to try to screen off the anemone tonight, if it survives that long...

8. Dane

Dane

If you are willing to keep the two physically seperated until the BTA is a lot bigger then I dont see it being a problem. But that might be quite some time. He can have his green polyps till then ;-)

Right now, lets see some pics.
    [​IMG]

9. Suhayl

Suhayl

Another option to put inside a refugium, thats if you have one. You can also add a strong light ontop. Nennies are sensitive and I use to keep them for many years. Keep us posted Id like to know the result.

10. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

I posted a pic of my maroon and on the anemone when I first added it to the tank on a nice shelf, I was not able to get a pic of the 2 together before it moved under the rock it was on at which point the maroon continued to host it, be it, upside down.... hopefully the images make sense, they are showing at the top of the web page verses in with this message.

11. Dane

Dane

let me help you with that, heres what was in your gallery. Nennie was looking good before

[​IMG]

12. Anemone

Anemone

Maroon Clownfish can love their anemones to death. Post of pic of the two together. The anemone needs to be 3x larger than the clownfish....minimum.

13. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Unfortuneately I did not get a pic of the 2 together before the anemone moved under the rock, but clown is twice as big as the anemone which is a good size... I'll do my best to block off a section of rock that the anemone is attached to, but that in itself creates issues with other fish flow, anemone movement if it gets happier and what material to use... I have 1cmx1cm grid screening that I temporarily used as a top cover but it looks like it is coated with rust resistant coating that is brittle, could cause more issues... Can't think of any plastic that would work for this purpose... any ideas?

14. Dane

Dane

Rust resistant coating that is brittle!? Noooo!!! You really dont want to leak contaminants into your tank...
    You will have to find something inert - preferably plastic. There is something called "eggcrate"

[​IMG]

You can get it from most plastic wholesalers I think. I've seen guys cut sections out of it to make a cage before, but bit of a mission in my opinion. I would try try and find something easier to work with. Even if its a soft plastic mesh I think it will be fine.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011
  15. Anemone

Anemone

+1 on the eggcrate.

Get us your water parameters as soon as possible. IMO you anemone looks a bit bleached.

16. Dane

Dane

Also thought it was looking a bit pale, but i dont have experience with nennies. Some of the green ones seem to remain quite white even when they're settled and healthy? have you come across this brenda? @Anemone

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Experiementing with the use of live rock (a cage of live rock) since the anemone went behind a rock to get away in the first place. Doesn't look pretty (cluttered), but the clowns options have been reduced, we'll see if it works, will likely have to tweak it daily since the anemone options are also reduced... kind of looks like a bag of grapes behind a rock lol, thanks for all the advice, your input is greatly appreciated.

Uploaded the images to my galery, but I don't seem to be able to insert them into the messages... will try after this post.

Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 20 Jan 2011
  18. Anemone

Anemone

BTAs should never be white. Tan, and other shades of green and red, yes!

You also have to take into account a few other things. One is whether or not the BTA has bubbled tips or not. Think of this as a balloon. Take a green balloon. Now add air to the balloon. It is still green, but it is not as dark as it was before you added the air.

You also have to take into account the lighting. We all know the lights that hang over our tanks can slightly change the appearance of animals in our tank.

Another thing to take into account is photo quality. It doesn’t always come out the way it looks in our tanks.

Dane likes this.
  19. Dane

Dane

Coves, to insert pictures, right click on the image in your gallery and select "open picture in new tab" or something similar (I use google chrome, may be different on iexplore etc). Then copy the address in the URL bar. In this message box click the picture icon and paste the address into that popup bar. I have done this for you below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to be honest but I have some doubts about the live rock cage. You're right, the nennie does look like a bit of squished grapes :p not ideal. The anemone will get very little light like this - whereas an eggcrate cage or similar allows it to get good light, you can feed it easily and just drop the cage afterwards etc...

Last edited: 20 Jan 2011
  20. Dane

Dane

Thanks for that brenda. obviously the ones I where thinking of were still recovering or were a pale tan & green perhaps...

21. Anemone

Anemone

Do you have a sump? Can you also post a full tank shot?

Recent Posts