Anemone behaving weird

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by FransSny, 30 Oct 2008.

1. FransSny

FransSny

hi all

wonder if this is weird...my anemone keeps climbing onto my powerheads. Is this due to bad flow or flow direction or maybe something else

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Storm

Storm

Anenomes move when there unhappy. Could be a number of things (Each species is differant) as ranging from insufficient lighting, to little food intake or even bad water conditions. The fact its climbing higher up meens its looking for better conditions. As for the power head, sounds like a convenient perch higher up in the tank for stronger lighting.

4. crispin

crispin

have u ever heard on nennie soup?

your nennie is unhappy and thats a very serious possition to be in. if he gets into a powerhead (and most people say that you cant really nennie proof a powerhead) the nennie gets cut to very fine pieces leading to massive spikes and often disaterous effect on all tank mates. Nennie and cucumbers are known for it, and if you not sure that its a danger, please pm jacques :(

PLEASE post description of you tank, light and water flow in particular.....this isnt weird, its very alarming. Please take my word this is very serious. Ie if that was my tank, i wouldnt go to work untill he was settled and i had things sorted out.

5. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks guys ....i ma working on the problem as we speak (also thought it wasnt normal)...luckily I work from home !!!!

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Frans - Everything said here is very true.

I have found the following to help with the nemmie:
    1) VERY good lighting close to the water surface
    2) power-heads/water flow on BOTH sides of the nemmie - basically creating a cross-flow - this MOSTLY ensures that the nemmie stays put
    3) IF the nemmie sits on a rock - place the rock in such a position that there is no other rock next to it - basically "prop" the rock up to be the only rock very high up in the tank - this also MOSTLY assists in keeping the nemmie in one place
    4) feed often in the beginning (until the nemmie starts growing too big too fast) - then reduce feeding slightly

Hope this works for you too.

Good luck mate.

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks guys

8. crispin

crispin

franssny i am afraid i think you tank is just too younge for a nennie:(

also if you cant create a pedistal as jacques meantions above, you can also create a cave for the nennies foot. if they anchor properly with a protected area for the foot they dont seem to move.....

but all of that is irrelivant if the water quality is not perfect and in a new tank (thats anything under a 6month period in my view) water quality is never good:(

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks Crispin..I hear your thoughts on tank age ...got the nennie for free couldnt resist. I will create a pedestal as per jacques as i have a enough rock and a piece of open space. Also relook flow pattern

10. Storm

Storm

FransSny, you could also consider looking for 2 mature clowns to help settle the anenome.

11. crispin

crispin

no storm i dont agree that two new clowns hoasting in this nennie will help it to settle. Sorry but thats really not a good idea

12. Storm

Storm

Opinions differ, worked for my Rettiri. But im posting advice which worked for me. Nobody is forced to use it.

13. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

dude your system is running for a month and your trying to keep a nennie!!!!!!!

minimum is 6 months and then some nennies sill struggle

thats not going to work boet:nono:

i'll be more that happy to keep the nennie in one of my tanks until your system is matured or you need to sell it or give it to some one else.

anemones don't have a short livespan it will get allot older than us humans and some reefers kill them in a week or two(do research when you buy stuff before hand)

let me know what you going to do;)

14. crispin

crispin

LOL lanzo i think the fella is feeling bad enough now:)....i'm just worried tobes tries to force feed him a box jelly!

franssny thats actually a nice offer, if lanzo will HOST it for you (no stealing or selling it lanzo) untill you tank can cycle a little, get things more stable and ready then get it back from him that would be the best, or another reef buddy's tanl....b ut sometimes its hard to get LS back from other reefers.

I really think you need to think about your nennie mate, sorry to say but there are too many warning signs of disaster here which i would like to avoide and I am sure you do to.

pm lanzo, see if theres anything along the lines he is talking about that will help u:)

15. crispin

crispin

actually as far as i know, nennies are one of the very few animlas in the world that have no form of tissue necrossis with age....simple under optimal conditions it will never die. really cool:) but makes them very hard to age, they can be 1 year or a thousand we just dont know

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:lol::lol: see you still remember my old signature :razz:

17. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yip that's what makes these creatures so damn awesome;)

"tobes"- why you changed it bru?:whistling:

18. crispin

crispin

i live in fear of it lol. actually i ahve rather similar views of looking after fish and have closed down two pet shops (one in sa and one in UK) who were not looking after their LS well enough in my humble eyes. Fish and tank mates only have what we give them, so simply the better we look after them the better their lives are:)

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sounded too threatening, don't wanna chase new inexperienced members away who made an honest mistake :whistling:
    My new signature gives advice rather than an ultimatum :p

20. JD167

JD167

I've lost 2 anemones that got sucked up in powerheads. Not a pretty sight! I managed to rescue 1 though and he is still in my tank. The other one died when a powerhead came loose and fell on him.

Frans, if your anemone moves around, it's not happy. If it floats, your in trouble! Chances are it will get sucked up in a powerhead. Take a close look at the advice everyone gave you. Water conditions, light, water flow etc. Hope you find a solution!

Ps, how about some pics for us to see? ;)

21. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks to all for advice. Jacques...I moved 1 powerhead and it seems to be working...nennie hasnt moved since my last post funnily enough not close to the light, Crispin you r 100 % nennies dont have any necrosis...lanzo thanx 4 the offer ....unfortunately had a bad exp with a LFS "looking after" 2 discuss while i was building bigger tank. Lost the pair...already bred once which is a feat on its own once again thanks 2 all..i will just have to keep my eye on it

Recent Posts