Anemone Advise needed

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a red base anemone that I have had for about 2 months.Have been feeding it frozen squid (defrosted before feeding). it has been eating twice weekly well. I had to remove one of my hermit crabs as it was "attacking" the anemone for the squid I fed it.
Yesterday I got home and the other hermit crab had dislodged it from its "home" where it had attached its self between a rock and substrate. This morning it has not re-attached itself..its base seems to be very small and seems to be slowly getting moved by the current in my tank! Should I be concerned? is it just not happy in its current position? will he re-attach its self when he finds a suitable position?

some advise would be greatly appreciated...don't wanna stress him out!

Thanks!!!

i would remove the crab for now until he re-attaches, they move around if they not happy, but the nemmie pro's should have an idea or 2

keep him in the sump, or dsb, i have 2 crabs there
they work wonders there, or i will take him if you really dont want him

Hi Inflames, can you please answer these questions so we can get a bigger picture?
1 - how long has the tank been running?
2 - what are the water parameters?
3 - what lights do you have?
4 - what pumps do you use for flow inside the tank?

Just watch out that it doesn't get sucked in by one of your pumps.

Hi Inflames,

Can we perhaps have some more information on your system...
what lighting do you have?
How old is your tank?
What are the latest test parameters of your water
Have there been any major changes in your system in the last couple of days???

Been running for 5 months now...1st 3 months with no livestock. Added a blenny 1st. 2 weeks later the nemmie. added 2 percular clowns about 10 days ago. All test are 0 (no2, no3, po4)lights I have 2X 39watt 12000k t5 and 2x 39 watt actinic blue 10 000k t5. 3500 lt/h sump pump. 2 x 2000 lt/h power heads circulating the water in the tank. No changes have taken place in the last few day...except for my hermit buggering around with him yesterday!

A bit quick to add an anemone in your tank - it is advised to wait 9 - 12 months before adding a nennie. Your lights might also be too weak for it.
How many litres is your tank?

what are the dimensions of your tank inflames?
what filtration are you running ?

hi inflames, sorry to hear that nennie is moving, certainly not a good sign. do you work near your tank and can you see that he doesnt touch any of the powerheads in there.....thats VERY important, it causes nennie soup and that will wipe out your system, so best thats avoided.

Someone will say it, but you tank is just too younge for a nennie yet, and possibly not enough light, but lets not worry too much about that and see what we can do to get him stable again.

yes the hermit may have irratated him and casued it to start the moving, but i have a feeling he just isnt settled yet and thus wants to move, hermit or not.

Mods, coul you perhaps ask hennie to have a look at this and see if he can help?

Someone will say it, but you tank is just too younge for a nennie yet, and possibly not enough light

I did already - snow in your eyes Crispin? :lol:

Hi Guys,

Standard 4 foot 1220x450x450 about 230 litres. Sump with DSB is 90 litres. return sump pump is 3500lt/h have a macro aqua skimmer rated at 700litres. I do have sponges covering the intake for my powerheads so no chance of anything being sucked in! not sure if this is a great idea though? I was not aware that the tank needed to run a little longer for a nennie...he has been feeding very nicely though?!?!? I know that the lighting is not ideal for him. MH would be a much better option...cash flow!!! will get one one day! H edoes open up very nicely when the lights come on...a good sign?

Your flow is also not enough, at the moment you have 2 x 2000lph and is restricted with sponges as well - you have in the region of 20 - 25 times the volume of your tank if I take half of your return pump as well. When budget allows, upgrade on the lights and get decent flow pumps like Seio's or Tunze ;)
Start by putting the nennie high on a pedestal of some sorts with random flow around it - not a jet stream directly on it. He should stay there - close to the light and enough flow to remove toxins etc.
Hold him there softly, he should stick in a short while - turn the pumps off for a short while or direct them away a bit.

Thanks Tobes,

Will move him higher up on top of my rocks and direct a little flow around him. What is the best way to feed these guys? Should I use a piece o plumbers pipe as a base for him to settle into when I move him? What would be the ideal lt/h flow flow for my tank? And for my sump pump? I was thinking like a 10 000 lt/h sump pump?!?! Hard to find and expensive! WoulD adding a 150watt MH to my current lighting be ok? I could modify the whole thing as its all DIY!

It's trying to find a better spot. It's not happy with the Hermit so it's making a b-line for a new home. Find a nice spot for it with little flow and put some LR around it. It will stick soon enough.

Thanks Tobes,

Will move him higher up on top of my rocks and direct a little flow around him. What is the best way to feed these guys? Should I use a piece o plumbers pipe as a base for him to settle into when I move him? What would be the ideal lt/h flow flow for my tank? And for my sump pump? I was thinking like a 10 000 lt/h sump pump?!?! Hard to find and expensive! WoulD adding a 150watt MH to my current lighting be ok? I could modify the whole thing as its all DIY!

No, you don't need a 10 000lph return pump. You don't need a fast circulation/turnover from sump to tank and back. This needs to be 3-5 times your setup volume as you want the water to flow slowly over the DSB for it to do its job. Yours might still be too much and need to throttle down a bit. The sump/return pump must give you roughly 1300 - 1800lph at the exit into the tank on your volume.

You need good random flow INSIDE the tank which you can achieve very easy with flow pumps made for this. A good budget pump is Seio - look in the classifieds if someone sells them. Get yourself 2 M820's (3200lph) at least - M1100 (4400lph) will be better. You can get them for less than R500 each. The M1100 and upwards can be connected to a controller as well. Flow inside depends on what corals you wanna keep. 30 - 40 times is good for most softies and LPS, SPS needs much more - there are guys with over 100 times flow for SPS.
Easy to check: Take your estimated delivery from sump pump (not full rating as you loose a lot due to height and bends, elbows, valves etc) take about two thirds to half.
It will be: sump pump lph + flow pump 1 lph + flow pump 2 lph devided by 230litres = x times flow

Hope this helps ;)

Tobes,

Thanks so much for the info on flow...will see if I can get my hands on the Seio's..will try get the bigger ones. I am planning to keep corals...the easier ones to keep for the next few years! Then move on the greater things! Will also invest in additional lighting! Will get my nemmie to a mor suitable spot in the mean time...hope he settles in quickly again!

Thanks again

Greg Handy (inflames)

No, you don't need a 10 000lph return pump. You don't need a fast circulation/turnover from sump to tank and back. This needs to be 3-5 times your setup volume as you want the water to flow slowly over the DSB for it to do its job. Yours might still be too much and need to throttle down a bit. The sump/return pump must give you roughly 1300 - 1800lph at the exit into the tank on your volume.

You need good random flow INSIDE the tank which you can achieve very easy with flow pumps made for this. A good budget pump is Seio - look in the classifieds if someone sells them. Get yourself 2 M820's (3200lph) at least - M1100 (4400lph) will be better. You can get them for less than R500 each. The M1100 and upwards can be connected to a controller as well. Flow inside depends on what corals you wanna keep. 30 - 40 times is good for most softies and LPS, SPS needs much more - there are guys with over 100 times flow for SPS.
Easy to check: Take your estimated delivery from sump pump (not full rating as you loose a lot due to height and bends, elbows, valves etc) take about two thirds to half.
It will be: sump pump lph + flow pump 1 lph + flow pump 2 lph devided by 230litres = x times flow

Hope this helps ;)

Hey Tobes, what u said here got me concerned my tanks return was running with a 1000L/h pump and i was told this was not good enough and have changed over to a 2500L/h this going over a 700x250x250 sump. Is this now too strong for my DSB to work properly? should i change back to the 1000L/h?

Hey Tobes, what u said here got me concerned my tanks return was running with a 1000L/h pump and i was told this was not good enough and have changed over to a 2500L/h this going over a 700x250x250 sump. Is this now too strong for my DSB to work properly? should i change back to the 1000L/h?

No, 2500lph should be fine, remember you're losing flow because of height, elbows and valve etc. You'll probably have about 1500-2000 lph exiting into the tank. He wanted to change to a 10000lph. Take your total system volume and multiply by 4, that should give you an idea of what flow you need through the sump taking into account the head loss etc.

No, 2500lph should be fine, remember you're losing flow because of height, elbows and valve etc. You'll probably have about 1500-2000 lph exiting into the tank. He wanted to change to a 10000lph. Take your total system volume and multiply by 4, that should give you an idea of what flow you need through the sump taking into account the head loss etc.

Ah, ok didnt think about loss with regard to height, bends etc. Thanks :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom