Anemone advice

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by nepellew, 6 Nov 2010.

1. nepellew

nepellew

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

that link didnt work for me but let me take you thru a few basics of nennies before you look at getting them, having read a number of your posts recently.

1 they need good light. the 'white nennies' are normally bleached having lost their symbiotic bacteria which is what feeds them and gives them colour. Consequently white nennies are normally bleached and very hard to bring back from the death. I say normally in respect as thats 95% of the case, very rarely you do get light coloured nennies.

2 they need very stable water in a mature tank thats generally over 9 months to a year old. thats important both for the nennies survival (first reason) but also for the reefer to learn how to maintian a tank before taking on difficult to kep beautifukl creatachures.

there are a number of other considerations to take into account with nennies, but those two should be kept in the front of your mind before you start looking at them

4. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Okie dokie thanks bud ya I’ve done some research on them most of them say only after a year you can add them then the tank is more established so thanks for that ,one question where in drubs’ do you get the T5 twin tube and what watt should I get , and ballast thanks bud

5. crispin

crispin

reef inmates have some great lighting units for you. should eb able to tailor a solution for all your coral needs and for higher light loving organisms like nennies, give them a call.

oh and as i live in norway i am not sure where you should shop :)

6. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Last edited: 7 Nov 2010
  7. Anemone

Anemone

I can't see the link either. But if the anemone is a hosting anemone and it is white, it is not healthy.

8. chops

chops

hi there guys i have got a sand nennie that has got 450 mm big he is lumo green iv got him under 2x 250w mh my tank is 1.5mx600x600 i have had him for 3 years he is doing so well

9. crispin

crispin

that sounds like a lovely nenie chops (welcome to masa btw) how about a pic of it. Have you lost any fish to the carpet nennie yet?

10. chops

chops

Hi there and thanks its not a carpet nennie maybe i got it wrong but no have lost no fish i will send a pic off it i have also got a bubble tip that has split over the week end i now have 3 bt my tank is doing very well

11. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Oh sorry guys um ok welll if i run a (VS 54W T5 Dual Ballast) with 2 -(24W Blue/White Combo PL Light Tube) would that be enough for a nennie .....

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Why do you want to use a 54W ballast and only 24W tubes. You will overdrive the crap out of them and they will not last long. Rather go for the 24W dual ballast if you want the 24W tubes. And no, I dont think that enough light. We are talking huge amounts of light for the anems that like light. A bubble tip might work if you add 2 24W tubes.

13. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Ok so what about (55W 10000K PL Light Tube) (55W Actinic PL Light Tube )with the dual ballast

Edit

Or better yet just let me know what lighting you guys think I need I don’t think I’m going to be keeping very hard anems maybe ones like Euphyllia glabrescens or Ritteri Anemone something easy I just want my corals and maybe one anomie to be happy I don’t plan on getting the one that loves and lives off of light well I don’t think those ones I put up do but please let me know I know this is in the far future but would be nice to know so I can do the alterations now and also if I happen to keep another coral I want them to live happy hahaha

Thanks again

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That is not an anemone, that is an LPS coral, common name is torch coral, will do fine under normal T5 fluorescent tubes.
    Ritteri are one of the most difficult light demanding anemone's out there, in a shallow tank it will need 150w MH or in a deep tank a 250w MH is recommended.

Your tank is small and in my opinion a single 150w MH will allow you to keep almost anything you want, providing your tank is mature and stable.

15. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Kewl

Okie dokie guys will keep it in mind when my tank is more mature :lol::lol::P:razz:;)

Recent Posts