Anem and cleaner shrimp fighting?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Lowflyer, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Guys, my shrimp is trying to take food away from the anem, but I think the anem is stinging him, but then I'm sure I saw the shrimp nip the tip of one of the anems tentacles off. COuld this turn ugly? SHould I take the shrimp out or what?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Hey Lowflyer

This is not really out of the ordinary... If your shrimps get hungry they will scavange the food right out of the nennies mouth... Mine did it as well..

The thing to do is decoy feeding. Give the shrimp a small piece of fish on one side of the tank and then feed the nennie at the same time.
    By the time the shrimp has finished with it's piece the nennie would have closed and hopefully engulved it's piece...

In general your cleaners should not pose a threat to your nennie, In nature the shrimps often perch under or close to nennies and other anemones.

4. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

you nenny might actaully kill the shrimp... i've seen a cleaner fall over dead after trying to grab food from a nenny

5. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks guys, I'll try feeding the shrimp on the other side of the tank. Shot for the heads up Lappies. Henk, when the shrimp tried to nip the tentacle, it shot of like it had been stung.

Recent Posts