And so my journey begins!

So I learned last night too yes ;)

I shall be getting Reef Builder... lol

So we're definately getting there. All live stock happy, and appart from the Turbo's no deaths what so ever. To my amazement I still have two shrimp as well, after I thought that I may have lost one.

All 8.5 PH readings are a tad inaccurate (test kit whacked) and the 8.5 readings are more like 8.2 or 8.3 readings. Things are definately looking up.

May introduce some more LS towards the end of the month.

Capture.PNG

PH seems a bit high. 8.7.
are you sure on the reading?

seems stabilized the last couple of days.

@RiaanP - Possitive. The test kit only measures 8 and the next scale is 8.5 and then 8.7

I'm 99% sure I'm at 8.2 or 8.3 Once the existing kit is done, I'm buying some other (more than likely Red Sea) kits that is more accurate. Only test Ca Mg and KH with Red Sea currently, the rest is all Sera

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pH and kH numbers don't correspond. With a kH of 7 and pH so high, I think a test kit is not reading correctly. Becareful with ANY test kit they are not as accurate as you think.

maybe take a sample of water to your LFS or friend. And test the basic parameters with his test kit.

Just to make sure that yours are giving valid results.

Nothing personal, but things like this happen to the worst of us at the beat of times... And vica versa.
Dont see this as the end, rather an opportunity to get a fresh start, take things slowly and do it right.
I have done more dumb things than that, wiped out more tanks and livestock than my conscience allows me to remember, but every time i saw it as an opportunity to start on a better foot, get rid of the terrorist fish that i couldnt catch, get rid of crabs, remove a nutrient laden dsb, find the pump that was shocking me..,etc.

These things happen, just be happy.... Learn from it and know that it could have been worse!

Hi Ho Hi Ho...

So I definately did not just call it quits. We're sitll up there, still going, and back up and running again. A few things changed, for the better I think.

Unfortunately, I did loose some LS from the crash. My Camel Shrimp, Brittle Star, Crabs, and a few Snails did not make it.

Currently, I've added however a Sea Hare (I call it a koei (cow) because all it does it eats and sleeps!!!), some new crabs, a new hammer head coral, Brittle star, and 4 Blue Damsels. The greatest new addition currently is of course Bio Cubes.

From what I can see (again - note that the reading on pH is incorrect, I am possitive that the reading is arround 8.2 or 8.3) most of my parameters are fine[1], with the exception of Nitrates which still need to come down a little. I also have filter wool in a filter sock to remove small particles from the water.

Two issues.

1) All my LPS (Elegance Coral as well as Hammerhead Coral) refuses to open (well it opens, but let's rather say it doesn't extent at all. It has gone SLIGHTLY better since I raised the KH, but it's still no where near fully extended). The Elegance was fine before the tank crash and was an absolute beuty. Lately, I can see the Elegance is battling and SOMETIMES on a few occasions (once every couple of days I would say), I have seen brown stuff (almost like fish pooh) coming out of one or more of it's mouths. None of the two corals show any sign of tissue damage or tissue degration from what I can see.

2) Tried Clarity, tried Easy Vital the water remains 'cloudy'. I just don't get that crystal clear water, nevermind what I do or try? Thanks to the Bio Cubes, my tank is as algae free as it will ever be, I don't even have algae left on my tank's silicone anymore. Gravel is also algae free, but there is a very fine dust sitting in the substrate which does cause issues when you stir the substrate arround.

Will post some pics later on when things have brightened up in terms of the LPS - which would also give a indication of what I am referring to in terms of the 'cloudy' water if anything there is unclear :p

Thoughts, comments, and how much is it going to cost me? ;)

[1] - with "fine" I mean that the parameters are pretty much there where it was previously before the crash. By all means, I know my Ca and Mg are high, and I know my KH is high too. What I am trying to establish here is that the parameters are back to where it was prior to the crash, my LPS isn't.

Last edited:
Closeup of the Elegance (pretty much as open as it gets currently), Hammerhead (as open as it gets - better after increasing the KH), and a FTS... The small little piece on the Hammerhead where tissue did die, was like that and I got it from the LFS like that - didn't happen in my tank :whistling:

2014-03-20 09.15.29.jpg

2014-03-20 09.15.41.jpg

2014-03-20 09.15.55.jpg

I was on Aqua Medic prior to the initial tank crash, and then it was recommended to rather switch to Seachem Reef Salt (comes from same LFS). There is absolutely NOTHING dosed in that water. I am dumb founded as to why the Ca and Mg are so high.

I tested this by taking RO and mixing the salt in a seperate container untill the salinity was at 1.025 @ 25C. Measured and it was high.

For some reason (with Aqua Medic as well as Seachem) my Ca and Mg has always been high. I'm hoping that I can just wait it out untill it eventually gets consumed and starts coming down - touch wood...

WOW Chris, just skim read your thread and don't know what to say other than with no disrespect to all that have tried to help. You have been given an information overload with raise this lower that and all those bottles of additives as well. I am not surprised that you are having issues. As you have just restarted you tank, now is I good time to do thing properly from the start. So put those bottles of additives away and don't buy another one unless absolutely necessary.

I am off to collect some glass but will be back shortly.

In the mean time, Which seachem salt are you using? and what refractometer are you using?

In the mean time, Which seachem salt are you using? and what refractometer are you using?

Seachem Reefsalt (the purple bucket). Refractometer is a Reef Octopus, regularly calibrated (learned that the hard way too) with RO

And yes - the only bottles I have now is my FW fish food and SW fish food (flakes & pellets). The kid made sure that daddy doesn't have anything else to doze by dozing it *ALL* for me - I don't even have dechlorinator left :thumbup:

Last edited:
Chris I am going to take you back to the beginning. Setting up and running a marine tank is like building a house. If you don't dig and lay the foundations correctly everything will come tumbling down.

So we are going to make sure that salt you are using is mixing to the parameters the brand says it does. If it does not then either we are measuring incorrectly or the bucket of salt is the issue. It is no good trying to correct parameters when we don't understand why they are out. So please be patient with me.

Chris can you please check for me what the calibration temperature on the Refractometer is and if it is a ATC Refractometer.

Not a ATC, and it's calibrated at 25C. That's why I also specifically made mention in my earlier post that I mixed and tested the salt when the water was at 25C - unless I misunderstood how the calibration and testing needs to happen.

Chris I am going to take you back to the beginning. Setting up and running a marine tank is like building a house. If you don't dig and lay the foundations correctly everything will come tumbling down.

*nod* on the plus side - I've build a 63m2 addon to my house with my own two hands two years ago, and that is at least still standing :tt2: I am going to be straight up from the beginning with you though - restarting (for a fourth time now) is NOT going to be a option for me - I will fight anyone and everyone untill kingdom come on this, and we know what I can be like lol, sorry. Water wasted whilst making RO, cost of salt, it all adds up and I can't continue spending thousands on salt and water. Just making 500L of RO is over 2KL on my municipal bill as I'm sure we are all well aware...

So we are going to make sure that salt you are using is mixing to the parameters the brand says it does. If it does not then either we are measuring incorrectly or the bucket of salt is the issue. It is no good trying to correct parameters when we don't understand why they are out. So please be patient with me.

Again, *nod*. I use Red Sea test kits for Ca, Mg, and KH (foundation kit). I have had VERY nasty surprises from the before mentioned LFS in the past as well, and unfortunately the salt does come from them (remember there was HUGE drama in certain threads about that), so I won't be surprised if the salt may be the issue. I don't support them anymore though, so the NEXT bucket of salt will be from somewhere else. More than likely Perkys, or another non sponcer which is close by.

I also won't be surprised if the test kit is the issue, or if it is the 1d10t doing the testing this side - although I do still have the instructions that came with the test kit, and I do read them often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom