And now, the weather forecast

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Weather forecasters are predicting chaos on the roads as Britain returns to work next week, with warnings of ice, sleet, and freezing temperatures.
Piers Corbyn, from long-range forecasters WeatherAction, said: "The winds from Siberia are going to make it extremely cold - like the conditions we experienced in January 1987 where it was -12C (10.4F) in the south.
"The average temperature for January as a whole will be close to freezing - 0.8C (33.4F) at best."
He added that temperatures could plummet to -17C (1.4F) in the Midlands.
The Highways Agency seem in agreement, having put hundreds of gritting vehicles on standby across the country.
But Stephen Davenport, senior meteorologist at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "Apocalyptic predictions verging on prophecies of a new Ice Age need to be put into perspective.
"There is no doubt at all that it will feel bitterly cold, especially on Thursday and particularly in the eastern half of Britain.
"Strong, raw winds from the east will bring a significant wind-chill and showers of sleet and snow. In the middle of winter such conditions are hardly unknown though, and in fact could be far, far worse. Indeed, some people in the western half of the country might be left wondering what all the fuss is about.
"By the weekend this brief freeze will have disappeared, as milder and occasionally wet and windy weather blasts in from the west.
"That will put winter on hold again for most areas until at least the middle of next week, although snow is possible for a time in the North on Sunday and Monday."

I suppose i can put the sunblock and beach towel away then:whistling:

Guess you guys haven't heard of global warming then :whistling:

Guess you guys haven't heard of global warming then :whistling:

No that didn't really grab the attention, other than the good folk of Britain queueing up for suntan lotion eagerly:lol: so now the green brigade call it "climate change":)

Apologies Phat, i had no idea i had managed to duplicate this thread, perhaps because i was typing with 4 pairs of gloves on ;)

sounds more like global cooling to me :lol:

Wee man, what's the weather like end of Jan. Need to be over on your island for a week. Tell me it not going to be cold.:nono:

Wee man, what's the weather like end of Jan. Need to be over on your island for a week. Tell me it not going to be cold.:nono:

Ok, don't worry, it won't be cold, the moon is made from cheese and George Bush is a great world leader:lol: :lol:

Sorry Warr, it will be cold wet and miserable, what can i say welcome to Brrrrrrritain.

Whereabouts you going?

London, Chelsea

It wasn't so bad last year Jan, what happen, new PM not pay his carbon taxes :lol:

I will keep you informed. I have to go to Amsterdam first. Soon as I have my schedule I will drop you a PM.

Lovely people the dutch, they have a very xmassy feel even in January, little place where the red xmas lights stay on all year, lovely place ;)

And to think at midnight last night I was boiling hot, the fan full blast on me and the doors wide open. You gotta love S.A.

Back
Top Bottom