Anampses Melanurus

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HeikoS, 11 May 2012.

1. HeikoS

HeikoS

Hi Guys.

Has anyone got any information on these beautiful creatures, keept them successfully in their tank?

[​IMG]

Bought this one on Monday but can't get much information. So far it is doing perfect, nibbeling constantly on the life rock as well as the substrate.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Never kept one myself, but I do know they need Deep Sand Beds as they sleep under the sand.

4. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

They are VERY closely related to our local Anampses lineatus (pictured below) which is not the easiest fish in the world to keep alive.

[​IMG]

They are difficult to feed and generally will not last long in a tank that doesn't have a large pod population. I've only ever had success with most of the anampses wrasse in tanks where I cycle fresh live rock out of the sea every few days. The bigger they are, the easier they are to feed.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

leaf wrasse species... awsome fish, very finnicky, alot of live food needed... generally beaceful.. can be intimidated but bigger species into becomin reclusive ...

6. HeikoS

HeikoS Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it.

7. Achilles

Achilles

i have these 2 and they are not easy more for experienced aquarists, they need alot of pods and live food in tank if they dont adapt to dead food straight away and they also come with loads of internal parasites which will make them waste away if they dont eat right

If you take time and effort to research them they are not impossible but they have special needs one being a mature balanced aquarium with a good fine sand bed at least 4 inches deep in which they sleep at night

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 May 2012
Recent Posts