An Ode to Dallas - My Nano Cube

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by BarryG, 10 Jan 2012.

1. BarryG

BarryG

Where to start, about 3 months ago i mentioned to a friend i wanted a fish tank and he jumped up :yeahdude: and said he has a friend who is a Fish Whisperer and knows all about it, and went on to describe his various tanks, so i took his number and gave him a call.

He referred me to wild on pets where they had complete tank setups, i set off on my journey the same day to see what i was getting into. I landed up getting a Nano Cube 28g with sugar fine crushed coral, a couple of Kg's live rock, salt water and headed home.

i put it all together and waited for Dallas to arrive...

WOW, this dude knows his stuff! He arrived with some bacteria and a whole lot of advice and lessons. He explained what goes on under the hood from the nitrogen cycle to why we do what we do, what each component does and how to go forward.
    Amazed at his knowledge i knew this was going to be a great adventure! and have much success with my tank.

Now we seeded the system and let it run for a week with just cured live rock and a wonderful smelling bacteria additive, Special Blend, which i still use today. All params in check i decided to add my first bit of life.

Next there was tragedy, another friend who had kept marines for years came past while i was doing a water change, not something most would believe Dallas to recommend, and suggested i mix my salt in my tank with my newly added livestock... bad idea! :eek:
    so in the chaos i called Dallas and he arrived to assess the damage. Salinity at 1,038! my fish were dying, my zoas were shriveled and the fatalities started. With patience and stability we started dripping RO over the next few days to get the salt back to 1,024, 7 hectic days passed and we were there! Thanks again Dallas!

Now full steam ahead, all was going well then i got a call from my wife saying our daughter had fed the fish all the food, panic stations! :eek:
    But now i had learned that there was only one place to go, thing to do, CALL DALLAS! got him on the line, told the story, and wham he was there same day. We did water changes, added bacteria, added some magic additives and all was good in the land of the reef.

Once everything had settled down we started adding more, don’t we all??
    I got a few corals from Dallas to add to my system, got a few from Wild on Pets and bam! my tank was looking awesome!

Next I researched lighting and came across TSR from his recommendation, where I got some great Vertex Illumina LED units, now i sit back and enjoy.

While I have had my ups and downs with this reef adventure I can only say that without Dallas' expertise, knowledge and selfless giving of support and advice I would never have achieved what you will see in the following pictures.
    To show my appreciation I have named my thread An Ode to Dallas, one of the best resources we have in marines!!

Dallas a guy who gives everything freely, there are no strings, hidden agenda's etc. just plain straight forward advice to get the most out of the hobby for you! Somewhat difficult to get hold of at times, but when you do, be prepared to learn and get sage-like advice. The one thing I noticed is the straight to the point advice, each bit is given and explained why, how we do it, the pros and cons, what others suggest and always practiced in his systems. To keep it simple, you want a good looking reef, get hold of him! :thumbup:

Now on to the good stuff, here are the pics! :thumbup: :1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Good looking tank, and Kudos to Dallas. Believe me if I say he not only help out with tanks, even in the Software computer dept too. Helped me out big time

4. 2balive

2balive

Looking good.

What pumps, skimmers do you have in the back?

I am considering a tuxedo urchin, but worried that it will push my corals around, is yours behaving?

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Realy nice tank!

So now we know what @dallasg has been up to instead of posting pictures :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Goolam

Goolam

Good looking tank. Took your advice on microbe lift with excellent results. Hope to post few pics of tank soon. See you at wild on pets on 21.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hey bud!
    thanks for the great thread! and its my pleasure!

@butcherman now you know :)

8. dallasg

@seank thanks for the kind words

9. dallasg

i must also give kudos to @wild on pets the team there is great, good advice, personal attention and great stock!

10. mytank

mytank

+1 on @dallasg and +1 on @wild on pets

@dallasg remember the first days of my first tank

11. dallasg

i do, and look at it now... its a master piece!
    and your knowledge has grown 10 fold, your tank and new one are an example of it

12. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I agree Wild on Pets is the place to go for personal advice and good stock. The only LFS who has turned me away because my tank was not ready for the stock I wanted to buy :whistling:

Unheard of in the modern day in my humble opinion :thumbup:

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

your tank looks great man! ... You are lucky to have great advice from dallas :)

14. Mc

Mc

Good looking tank you got there looking foward to seeing how it progresses.:)

15. BarryG

BarryG Thread Starter

Hi. Using the standard skimmer. Works well but skims quite wet. Filtration in back is a standard console modified with ceramic rings, carbon and chemical filteation sponges to removes phosphates, algae, nitrates and a carbon sponge. Replace them weekly. R50 a pack gives me about 23 weeks....

The urchin is quite peaceful. Corals on rock is mainly secured with putty so no hassles. Just remember to acclamatize them SLOWLY over like 3hrs using a trickle method

16. BarryG

BarryG Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the motivation and compliments. Hope I didn'nt make Dalleas sound like a demigod...

17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

no that will only happen if he could figure out how to use his Camera :p

18. BarryG

BarryG Thread Starter

I hope to return the favours by showing him how a canon works...

19. devesh.r

devesh.r

An update pic on this beauty will be great

Recent Posts