An analysis of synthetic sea water mixes by AquariumWaterTesting.com

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
here are all the salts tested etc
interesting read, the salts we think are good are ......

Hi Butcherman,

I warned you not to go there!!!!:banghead:

I started to enquire a few years back about water changes and maintaining the elements in our tanks by means of salts mixed with RO water, as an alternative to using sea water! Maintaining and replenishing these elements, taking out the nasty stuff and getting the good stuff back in (via water changes), even back them and I still stick to my guns :kangakiller: regarding what I said then!

We think that we need to spend all this cash on the most expensve salts on the market, when actually none of them, even come remotely close to replicating NSW. There are few other research documents floating around the web along with this one that Dallas has posted! Go and do some research and come to your own conclusions about this!:whistling:

Now determine what u want to dose less of, or want less or more in your salt
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Butcherman,

I warned you not to go there!!!!:banghead:

I started to enquire a few years back about water changes and maintaining the elements in our tanks by means of salts mixed with RO water, as an alternative to using sea water! Maintaining and replenishing these elements, taking out the nasty stuff and getting the good stuff back in (via water changes), even back them and I still stick to my guns :kangakiller: regarding what I said then!

We think that we need to spend all this cash on the most expensve salts on the market, when actually none of them, even come remotely close to replicating NSW. There are few other research documents floating around the web along with this one that Dallas has posted! Go and do some research and come to your own conclusions about this!:whistling:

That's why I posted this, coz we agreed :)
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why I posted this, coz we agreed :)
Posted via Mobile Device

HA HA HA...So where are the non believers and un-converted now?!?!?:whistling:

I know this is a sore topic for most regarding water changes and so on, still busy with my degree in water science/chemistry/additives/pollutants/skimming/ect...should be done in the next few years...untill then, keep on with those water changes and great salt additives:blush:!

but some will still follow blindly...
Randy Holmes Farley, Rates Instant Ocean as the most neautral and he does know what he is talking about.

HA HA HA...So where are the non believers and un-converted now?!?!?:whistling:

I know this is a sore topic for most regarding water changes and so on, still busy with my degree in water science/chemistry/additives/pollutants/skimming/ect...should be done in the next few years...untill then, keep on with those water changes and great salt additives:blush:!

So that's why you've been so quiet...

In the end.. Whats the conclusion? :whistling: And theres no tetra salt :(

So the conclusion is all salts that you buy are not great, only salt water from the actual sea is good?.....I live in Joburg, thats never gonna work.....very confused...:(

No, thats not the conclusion. Many people run stunning reefs on salts.
You have to formulate your own conclusion. Find what works best for you.

The conclusion is not a simple one! We are trying to replicate what happens in our oceans with billions and billions of litres of water, some water is great and other water is really poison, in our little tanks. We are trying to keep fish that live in eco systems, not tanks, corals that grow of reefs, not frags on tiny pieces of rocks. We try to replicate the salt water in the ocean. The fact of the matter is we never will! In my opinion.

Many people think that ocean water is salty, yes it has salt in it, but, and here is the BIG BUT, it has hundreds of other minerals in the water column. Each one of those minerals are consumed at different rates in the ocean eco systems and reefs, we are just trying to figure out which ones are the most inportant ones. These are the ones that occur in quiet high (measurable) quatities in NSW. Like Calcium, Magnesium, Stronthium, ect. Then you have a look at corbonates, and the role that they play in maintaning a steady PH, these are also "consumed" at a rate.

The bottom line is as Dane mentioned above...draw your own conclusion regarding salts, it is the ONLY option most of us have. Draw your own conclusions for the reasons you do water changes and the "salt" you use. If you really think that the salt that you use is very similar in all the mineral compositions of NSW, think again! Dont expect a water change with an expensive salt is any better than a water change with a cheap salt!

I would rather advise at staying away from salts that higher quantities of the nasty stuff in, than to buy salts that "claim" to have all the good minerals of NSW.

And then decide on what is best for YOUR setup!;)

well, number one is Marine Environment

not me, but the figures tell the story,

I took the averages. And charted that.
Top part of spreadsheet. Good stuff in blue. Bad stuff you do not want high values in orange.

Then I took each test and measured how far from the average across all brands for that test is its result. Example Marine Environment Phoshate is 0.01, average for phosphate is 0.04. So it differs by 0.03. The variance to average is in the bottom part of the spreadsheet. The bad stuff variance is multiplied by -1 (above average is bad).

Average variance for a brand across all tests then gives me the ranking. But different tests can not really be combined, but it is some some of indication. Looking at individual variance values for Marine Environment, Salinity low (more salt needed to mix), Phosphates good, lot of Potassium, highest calcium, second highest magnesium. Overall, not too shaby.

Which of these tested products are available in SA?
Coralife
Crystal Sea Bioassay
Crystal Sea Marine Mix
Instant Ocean
Kent
Marine Environment
Oceanic
Red Sea Coral Pro
Reef Crystals
Seachem Marine
Seachem Reef
Tropic Marin