an alternative to a delay switch on skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by jaybeepee, 24 Mar 2011.

1. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Hey All,

I have this problem that when, for example, the power cuts my sump fills up with the excess overflow from the main tank. Then, when it comes back on my sump is nice and full and the skimmer as a result bubbles over - coz the water level is too high for a good 30 seconds. This is bad as all the crap in the skimmer can sometimes pour back into the sump.

I've heard some guys talking about a delay timer but I think I may have come up with an easier option that may help others.

The solution (well at least for me) ;)

take the air intake pipe (venturi) of the skimmer and mount it upside down such that it is just above the level your sump is USUALLY at. THEN, when the sump fills for whatever reason, the skimmer will stop working as it will be sucking water into the venturi as opposed to air.

Hope it helps others

Cheers
    Jason

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Have you tried this? Because if I think of it, if you close the venturi the skimmer fills up very quickly and overflows which you dont want.

So I think you will only make the issue worse instead of better.

4. jaybeepee

jaybeepee Thread Starter

hey Marius,

yes I have. Maybe it would be good to point out that I use an IM1000 skimmer which has 2 pumps - one for water and one for air. The water pump is therefore pumping the water out the skimmer fsater than the venturi pump is pumping in. Without the bubbles there is no 'head'.

Works on my IM1000. Maybe others can test and see how it works out

Recent Posts