Amount of LR needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by rakabos, 21 Jul 2010.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Hi

I have tried searching but to no real avail...

What is a good ratio for LR to volume of water in a tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

4. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Cool, it's roughly 1kg per 10 litres of water, but that is just a rough guideline, it's not a hard and fast rule, you can use slightly less or more.

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

It really depends on the look you are going for, do you want an open tank or a big pile of rocks in the middle. My tank has around 60Kg of live rock in a 550L system.

7. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

thx for the info, now to source some inexpensive LR in JHB

8. crispin

crispin

with LR quality is very important and sometimes you have to pay for quality. LR will form the backbone of your biological filtration so to get a good stable tank you need good filtration. Be careful on trying to save with LR as you can end of with problems in the long run.

if you can get LR from a stable mature tank (maybe someone selling off after breaking a tank down etc) thats very worth it for you:)

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

good luck:1:

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Agree, Depends on what you want, some like to stack it all up against the back glass, lke a pavilion. It is more stable and give a lot more "rack" space. But detritus can settle behind all those rocks as flow in the back is a problem, and critters can hide forever.

Others like a central stack, or Island. Others got 2 islands (me me). Less rack space. More swim space as fish can swim around and behind the stacks. But stack tends to be more upright, less stable. Easier to clean back glass (if you want to)

yeah sure, if you find it, please let us all know...

11. Suhayl

Suhayl

There is no rule to say rock to the volume of water. You can use the bare minimum on a tank. Lots of people using dry rock now a days as the liverock has too much nasty stuff that eat corals and do harm to the tank. Liverock will give you endless trouble with gha if you buy a batch like that. Try some Marco rocks from Dorry than also just few nice liverock pieces.

12. crispin

crispin

sorry suhayl but i dont agree with you there.

many people use bio rock to lift a reef and bulk it up to save on the cost of LR but the filtration effect of bio rock is far lower than good quality LR, even if over time it can look asthetically similar to LR. The actual work that LR does is far better than dry rock.

as to the nasty stuff that eat corals, i assume you mean unwanted hitchikers like mantis shrimp and certain crab species. while they are unwanted they didnt choose to be in your tank to start with, they are just simply found there occasionally, and not a reason to not buy LR. Indeed one gets millions, litterally, of benificial hithikers with good LR from simple pods and bristle worms to collonies of corals that appear over time. So i would again say that LR is better than bio rock.

also there is nothing in LR that will cause GHA. there maybe some die off while you start off with LR and that die off may fuel nutrient levels which leads to some unwanted nuisance algaes (GHA just beeing one of them) but after time the biological filtration of good LR will cycle those nutrients through and deal with the source of the unwanted algae, and thus the algae itself.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  13. millepora

millepora

Quite right Crispin

Recent Posts