AMOUNT OF LIVE ROCK vs WATER VOLUME

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by DUPPIE, 25 Jul 2013.

1. DUPPIE

DUPPIE

Hi All !

I just wanted to find out from the experts :

I current have a reef tank with a total water volume of +/- 750 litres (this includes the sump). The tank has about 60kg of live rock in it, mostly Fuji and Tonga. I would like to add another 50kg or so to the tank (mainly to have a better aquascape).

The question is, will so much live rock have an influence on water quality (less total water volume due to displacement by the rock), and will one have to do water changes more often due to a smaller total water volume, or will the filtration capacity of the rock balance things out ? The tank is already quite heavily stocked with fish and coral. Basically I would like to know if I'll need to do more water changes or not ?

Thanks !!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi

You can add, if anything it will aid in filtration . Is this new rock fully cured?

4. Wynie

Wynie

@dallag, Sorry this is a little bit off topic. What is meant by cured LR. Is it basically like quarentine for fish?

5. dallasg

Cured means full cycled, ie no dead or decaying animal life. This normally happens after shipping. So one can leave the rock in saltwater vats with a heater and flow and when ammonia, nitrite and no3 read 0 its cured.
    Most rock from a lfs should be cured if its from there tanks

6. Wynie

Wynie

Thanks, that make sense.

7. DUPPIE

DUPPIE Thread Starter

Thanks dallasg !

The rock is cured, but in a very lightly stocked tank. So would I have to do more water changes or not ?

8. the fish

the fish

no you will not need to do more water changes at all. if the LR is cured you can just add it, doesnt matter how lightly stocked the tank was that it was in. what you want is the bacteria on the LR that helps with Filtration. the more LR you have the better:thumbup:

9. SAMI

SAMI

You Must put as much live rock as you can !!!!!! More is betta IMO:p

10. DUPPIE

DUPPIE Thread Starter

THANKS GUYS !!

Have a great weekend !

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

More liverock will impact flow and create more dead spots so you might need to look at adding more flow.

12. Monti

Monti

IMO around a kg per 10 litres is more than enough to give you a good volume for scaping.... and obviously filtration benefits.... You could probably get away with even less live rock, if as dallas says, you filter it really well (especially if you carbon dose)

Oh and too much rock can be a bad thing

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  13. 3dd

3dd

Just be careful with using too much rock, I used too much in my nano and had no place to put corals, especially if you buy big ones from LFS, as they usually come attached too big rocks already.

This will be less of a problem when buying frags though, but always be aware that the corals are going to grow out and factor that into your scaping.

14. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

15. dallasg

Depends on your reasons for doing a water change

16. crispin

crispin

nice post monti :)

just to add to that. LR is a great filtration method but due to its mass and density it has a tendancy to restrict the flow of water around the tank (as logic would have it) and this in turn leads to low flow in some areas and thus a build up of detritus, whioch negativley affects the water quality. So if you want a 'chunky reef' with lots of hiding places then make sure you have good water flow set on a controller to achieve a randow movement of water. The other aspect about having a lot of LR is the way it restricts your ability to get to all glass panes to clean them. this often lets coraline get a food hold and makes cleaning harder. If you have alot of LR make sure that you can get to all glass areas with a blade when needed, and plan for the growth of corals (especially britle sps's) which break easily of you touch them while cleaning.

I like lots of LR and those are some of the issues I have with havinga tank that has too much of the stuff!

If you want it for increased filtration then I would reccomend sticking to the 1kg :10l water (in display tank) or possibly slightly less and then add extra lr to the sump.....but have additional water flow in the rock bed of the sump.

Recent Posts