Amount of Clowns

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by mytank, 29 Nov 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

So I am busy setting up my new tank 1.2 x 800 deep and 600 high.

Looking at my stocking for fish, I currently have in my current tank:

x.1 Clown (tank bread 90% black)
    x5 Chromis
    x1 mandrin
    x1 scooter
    x1 Lawnmower (obese man he is fat)
    x1 Purple tang
    x3 Anthias
    x1 Six line
    x2 blue dot sand sifters

I am looking at adding a Shoal Tang (baby) - on it's way.

x3 or 4 Yellow tangs

I then have an option

either

x2 FULL black clowns

PLUS

x2 Picaso Clowns

OR just the blacks or just the Picasos

I already have the x1 90% tank bread black clown (which is my fav and first fish).

I wanted to know is there a limit to the amount of clowns in the tank? Can I have the five clowns and will they co exist together? I am currently treating the poor clown for being chowed on his fins I suspect either the stupid chromis or the Six line wrass.

Just want to get some advise, I know the Shoal Tang is aggressive but he is going to (hopefully) be a baby and the tank seems to be big enough for all of them.

I would appreciate the advise.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Bump

4. FransSny

FransSny

What is the current species of clown you have ? Different sp might have issues , but this will also depend on aquascaping etc as they need their own territory.

If adding more than one pair, err on the safe side and stay with the same species.

(BTW...how is a clown 90 % tank bred...do you mean tank raised ?)

Also be carefull f adding the Sohal Tang, that is a small setup and you already have an aggressive tang in there plus size will become an issue (My 2C)

5. Mastazee

Mastazee

I think he said the clown is 90% black in colour

6. FransSny

FransSny

ha ha ...speedreading again...apologies @mytank !

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Yup that what I said :)

8. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. Hmmm I will not get rid of the current clown so going room have to find a way of dealing with the new clown pair. Now its black pair or Picasso.

I really like that tang read they agressive. I am hoping he comes small very small as they say they ordered them. I was hoping her was.smaller than my purple tang and they would grow up together.

Pipe dream?

9. FransSny

FransSny

Pleasure, but still what is the current clown species you have (I looked on your thread but no clear picture..so I would rather not guess ) , however with these variants A percula / ocellaris is very much a gray area. I would still say best is to get same species (ignore the colour).

The problem with your tang selection is the purple ...not the new addition, PT's should be added last as they can be very aggro

10. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I have a thread running in the sick fish section with pics of the clown (sorry on my phone here abduction don't know how to post a link) yeah my purple has an attitude. .... Won't the shoul sort him out though? Maybe get a bigger shoul I was thinking of adding some yellows too..... :(

11. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I don't want to spoil your excitement, but forget about the Sohal tang. That fish shouldn't be kept in a tank less than 2m as the Sohal grows large and is very agro. All tangs should be introduced at the same time, preferable before the light goes off.
    Clowns:
    I posted many times all over, that you can keep different clown species in the same tank. The problem starts, when they getting adult and start to spawn. So it is advisable to provide a decent shelter/host for each pair. That can be a nennie or a flowerpot. One shelter/host should be on left side of the tank and one on the right side. Once the pair is established, they will need roughly 50x50x50cm space. So that will give you around 20cm space in the middle of your tank. That counts only for ocellaris and percs. Tomatoes and clarkiis need more space. An old established pair will kill newly introduced clowns. But an old established breeding pair, will just protect their area and that gives the newcomer a chance to establish at the opposite side of the tank. But be careful, especially small clowns tempt to swim always to the established bigger clowns. Even if they get a hiding all the time. The youngsters will most likely come for more beating. Strange behaviour.
    I introduced a clarkii pair into a 1,5m tank, where a huge ocellaris pair was breeding. I had no problems at all. Frans knows that clarkii pair. Frans, any chance to get them back for breeding purposes?

12. FransSny

FransSny

@LuckyFish, Sure it wont be an issue Marcel , the guy holding them is around the corner in Plattekloof from you, I will give him a shout on Monday....I havent been able to collect them as I am holding someone else's Ocellaris pair . Would be cool if they go back to you

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Changing topic quick anyone in SA selling or breeding picasio clowns?

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  14. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

They are the most beautiful clarkiis I've ever seen. Are they still behaving like a gay couple?:p

Recent Posts