Amount of cleaner shrimps?

Reaction score
A quastion for my Nano.

it is 24 G and has one cleaner shrimp.

I am still gettin used to how much to feed and was wondering if I can add another shrimp now to absorb my over feeding if I am? and to be a friend to the other one :)

Keep at least 2 shrimps. They also spawn monthly and provide your tank with a good food source. Grab at least 10 hermits and 10 snails to keep as a clean up crew

They do pair up, so it seems kinder to have a pair (whether this is just a human reaction or not, i'm not sure) as for using it to absorb the extra food, not a good plan to be honest, better to feed less than you think you need to.
Not sure if you would need 10 hermits and turbos, start off with 5 of each and see how they cope, better to add up than have them starve.

WOw that many crabs in a Nano?

I think there is two hermits and about 5 snails in there.

I'll stock up :p wallet says ouch :whistling:

Thanks Guys will do. I think I'll go for another two crabs and 1 shrimp.

BTW i placed a mussel shell in the tank that had little tube worms on it I picked up on the beach at Umlanga. They have all been eaten...

Who could be the culprit?
There is a lion, mandarin, cardinal, clown, blue devil, humbug, 2 red ligged hermits, 5 snails and 1 shrimp.

I suppose that is posisble, but I had the shell with about 5 of them in a seperate little tank for three weeks now with no porblems. I aclimatised them slowly and added the shell. Over night they were gone. Plus there little white tubes along the shell...

hi lappies - am i reading correct - do you have a lion, mandarin, cardinal, clown, blue devil, humbug all in a 24g nano?

and shrooms, tube anemone, sun coral and radianthus :whistling:

I bought it like this...It's been running like that for 8 months or something...

I tested nitrate/nitrate yesterday. Nitrite near zero and Nitrate in safe zone at .05 I think. These are dip stick's so good be a bit off. They are both marked as safe zone in colour range though.

As soon as I have my 4FT up and running I'll move a few things :)

In the mean time I want to add some carbon and maybe some chemical absorber...

Must be happy crabs ;) or very hungry ones...

Suppose we learnt out lesson. Mussels are very hard to keep I believe?

Just a little up-date on the shrimps.
I got him a little friend a week ago. As it turns out he, is now a she full of green egg sacks :) Although my nitrate are a bit high, it can't be that bad if they spawned within a week from getting a mate?

they carry the eggs for about 3 weeks, they even take turns in carrying the eggs.

in my opinion u r overstocked and a disaster waiting to happen.

Fair enough Ed ;) Thats why I want to trade the Lion...
Cool that they take turn. I didn't know that...
I doub't it in this case though since the one with the eggs is about 4 times the size of the new one...The egg sakcs are bigger than the whole little shrimp...

Back
Top Bottom