ammonia

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by badbiker, 18 May 2010.

1. badbiker

badbiker

Hi

One month back I start cycling my 600l tank the problem is that ammonia is .50mg and nitrit is 0.0.mg.I'd like to know is it ok or some thing is wrong.

other info

50kg live rocks

18cm DSB

Bioballs

Skimmer

chiller

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

Somethings not right and I think its a faulty test kit after that period you should see liitle amonia maybe a bit of nitrites and nitrate levels rising
    Try testing your water some where else

Trev

4. GI Marine

GI Marine

Badbiker

I have the same issue 600l-650l tank cycling for 5 weeks, DSB, skimmer and 40kg live rock for the last two weeks ammonia constant at 0.25, Nitrites at 0.05 and Nitrates 0. I do have a lot of macro alge on the live rock, which could be the reason for the nitrates at 0. Did not have any ammonia spike started at 0.5 and dropped to 0.25. Do have a bristle star and the other normal critters - feeding every second night with shrimp, mussel, crab and prawns mix (one ice cube). Checked test kit only expires in 2011. Same question am I doing something wrong. No so called spikes but also not dropping to zero

5. Trev

Trev

Ahhhhhhhha I think each of you guys need to describ exctly how you started the cycle.

GI I think with what you currently have you should not be feeding the tank anything

Are you guys pehaps doing water changes

Trev

6. GI Marine

GI Marine

Well... I filled the tank with saltmix and added 30kg of live rock and started the system. Three weeks later I added another 10kg of live rock and the brittlestar. I tested the calcium and magnesium and it is ok, therefor no water change to date.

7. Trev

Trev

Ok well this may be the reason, If there is not sufficient amonia present then the cycle wont get the full swing going not saying that this is exactly what you problem is but at the moment is seems so.

Usualy one would start the cycle by creating an amonia spike best done by letting a piece of food rot in the tank with the system running but the skimmer off and the lights off aswell. The food will rot and decomp into amonia then the amonia consuming bacteria will comsume the amonia pressent and multiply while converting the amonia into nitrite. At this point the nitrite consuming bacteria will mulpiply and consume the nitrite converting it to nitrate.............Lets stop here for now........

So it seems that you are stuck with the amonia part of the cycle and the possible cause could be that there was never enough amonia pressent for these bacteria to realy multiply well before the food source was depleted ( amonia ) but this could not be the case depending on your live rock so I need more info with regards to your live rock, like was it purchased dry, wet , is it all live rock or some bio type rock what type of rock is it exactly ?

Trev

8. Trev

Trev

O another thing is that at this point you need only worry about amonia and nitrite dont even think about the other toxins or chemicals which should or shouldn't be there like cal and mag they will have 0 effect at the moment if they are or arnt there.

Trev

9. GI Marine

GI Marine

Trev

The live rock was purchase wet (strait from the LFS tank in buckets of water) and it is Kenya live rock (fully cured). I do have bio rock as well +-40kg. I have changed the aqua scaping, but under photos you will get an idea of the live rock. I have a lot of worms, brittle worms, snails, macro alge and other critters on the rock, so I assume it is pretty good stuff.

10. Trev

Trev

Ok well now its clearer see you would have had a little die off in the rock and that would have sett of some amonia but not enough to realy start the swing. Can you test your water parameters and list then just the amonia and nitrite.

Is the bristle star the only livestock in the tank besides the home grown critters.

Trev

11. GI Marine

GI Marine

Yes, the only live stock is the brittle star. Everything else came with the rock. If I my assume the next step: add one or two PnP prawns to restart the cycle. Will this not hurt/kill the brittle star?

12. Trev

Trev

Well it depends on the parameters at the moment but its very likely this will be whats needed, It may not kill the star they are very hardy but it will make the next few weeks extreemly uncomfortable for him so it might be best to find a temp home for him at another reefers tank or even at the pet store where you go him.

Trev

13. GI Marine

GI Marine

Trev

The readings as at last night 8pm was Ammonia 0.25 & Nirite .05 Temp 25.9C and PH 8.2. The reading has been the same for at least two weeks. Thats why I bought the extra live rock hoping I could get the above to zero.

14. Trev

Trev

That actualy doesn't seem that bad at all. What were the amonia and nitrite readings at like 3 weeks ago

Recent Posts