Ammonia high

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by zakiyya, 2 Jul 2012.

1. zakiyya

zakiyya

I have a red sea 250 max, which is just over 2 weeks old, we had our water and everything tested and everything was fine and we were advised we were able to put in fish and a hermit crab which we did. Now our ammonia is quite high and even after 2 water changes, putting in stability it doesn't seem to be reducing. our fish though look fine and are swimming around everywhere. i have stopped feeding them as i think i may have overfed them the first day which has caused the spike. Please advise as i do not want to lose my fish on my first attempt.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what was the Ammonia test result?
    how did you cycle the tank?

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

do you have the standard filtration? 2 weeks is pretty soon to add fish to a tank unless you cycled the system using zeovit from the start.

it just sounds like your tank did not cycle. Before you add stability to the tank turn the skimmer off for abut 2hours then add stability as it gives the bacteria some time to activate otherwise it would just get skimmed out. I always had much better results when keeping my skimmer off when dosing bacteria

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

6. crispin

crispin

you def shouldnt have fish in a tank that has high ammonia, whom ever is advising you to add fish toi such a younge tank with high amonia is giving poor advice in my opinion. i wouldnt trust them.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

and remember its never alright to use fish to cycle a tank. The fish suffers and its animal cruelty :dft004:
    you rather just wait longer and let the tank cycle

8. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Zakiyya, get some special blend and nite out to boost your system bacteria and to speed up the cycle process seeing as you already have fish in the system.

9. raynow

raynow

Special blend and nite out! super product that works!

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

....and how many fish did you add, that is also a problem!!!:eek:

11. zakiyya

zakiyya Thread Starter

my ammonia is reading just under 1, i am putting in stability and alpha. I know we should've waited but now is too late and we were quite impatient to have life in our tank. We have
    2 nemo's put in in thruday
    2 chromis put in last saturday
    1 hermit put in on thursday
    1 piece coral put in also on thursday.
    all our fish seem to have settled and appear healthy and happy. the chromis initially hid away but since friday have been roaming the tank.

Up til Friday our tank parameters were perfect but we did overfeed. We have done 2 water changes of about 25L and don't know anyone to help us house the fish till we have sorted this out.

its all very overwhelming but your guys help will be greatly appreciated. please please please.

12. LouiseS

LouiseS

Microbe lift and Nit out - great products that really work in an emergency!!

13. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Agree with Tremayn...., well to some extent. Switch off skimmer just before adding stability and keave off for an hour or so (even better to leave the it on but remove the collection cup and let it overflow into sump if an in-sump model.) then an hour before switching it on, add the alpha. You can safely increase your dose of stability by 50% as well and add a carbon source as well, some vodka or a commercial product like zeostart or brightwell reef fuel will help. However, go slow with the vodka, 0.1 ml per day will suffice.
    You dont need zeovit to be able to add livestock after two weeks, there are many ways to do it, the important thing is that you need to know how to do it and have the resources.

No need to rush out and buy more quick fixes, more bacterial suppliments, you have great ones already.....

Realise that you have made a potentially disastrous mistake, learn from it and take it slow from here onwards and you will be rewarded.

And yes, absolutely, if the shop that sold you the stock knew your level of experience and age of your system, definitely approach them with caution in terms of trust........

If you dont notice an improvement in the ammonia reading after a few days, please post as there are further steps you can take to sort it out. But, again, i urge you to learn from your mistake....... Believe me, you'll save a firtune and probably some livestock too...

14. irie ivan

And to add, a description of your system, especially the filtration set up will help us to help you.

15. X Faktor

X Faktor

Don't mean to be rude, but patience is key to any reef bro... :thumbup:

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  16. crispin

crispin

hi zakiyya, i have replied to your PM (sorry its a long reply)

Mods ( @Tobes or @viper357) perhaps one of you could open a thread in the private section for zakiyya and give him some one on one help with the advisors, i think it would benifit this reefer:)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. crispin

crispin

hi zakiyya, how is the tank looking at the moment?

can you guys post a few pics so we can see if there is anything that should be adjusted so as to help a little?

18. zakiyya

zakiyya Thread Starter

Crispin

Sorry haven't been online in a while. the ammonia has dropped and is almost 0.

Our rocks and sand and even tank are now developing brownish spots. i hope this is ok. I am feeding the fish but very little and not everyday.

I am worried though of my hermit, he sits around and when i put sea weed in front of him he doesn't seem to eat.

kind regards

19. irie ivan

Rather feed them at least once daily, three times per day would be preferrable, but feed them small amounts.

Definitely not the right approach..... From one extreme to the other..... The brown spots are most likely diatoms, or the start of a bit of algae, all normal in the tank cycling process.

Regarding the Hermit, not too sure if you should be worried about it not eating algae, it probably does not like algae. perhaps try feeding it something meaty, like a little bit of fish. Hermits are generally not something most reefers target feed, they generally survive from scraps of uneaten food..... Very helpfull clean up crew.... an odd bit of meaty food does have them running for a snack though...

20. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey Zakkiya,

Congrats on getting the RedSea Max 250!! It's quite a piece of art!! For lack of a better term, "you got the short end of the stick" in terms of advise from your LFS...

I would highly recommend that you work through conglomerate of links @seank has put together for all new reefers... (I've actually just finished going through it myself :), and are, even with my limited knowledge, able to point out a few things that could and have gone wrong in your max... :angelsad2: )

here's the link:

Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Even though much of it is related to starting up, which you already have; it will still give you a great foundation to build-up off...

Truly hope your LS makes it :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts