AM Nitratereductor NR 1000

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by a-jap, 4 Mar 2013.

1. a-jap

a-jap

HI

Guys bought this Aqua Medic Nitratereductor did not set it up yet but would like to know your reviews, and do you run it with or without a probe?

I have some parts missing and seems like a mission just getting the screw where the probe normally goes. Was told and did some reading and found that it can run without a MV controller but would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i would really suggest running such a piece of equipment with a probe and controller.. things can go horrably wrong with a nitrate reducer and its best to run it with all the instruments to be confident its working properly

5. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the info. Are you running one and what probe are you using?

6. gaz19

gaz19

I've been running one for ages now. Trust me, use the probe and mv controller.
    I'm using the aqua medic mv controller and probe and then just a small cheap pump connected to the controller.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i had one and i decided to simplyfy, my corals dont mind a touch of nitrare as i run mostly LPS and im using orca bio nitra cubes...

8. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

gaz19 how long does the probe and controller last and are there any other brands you would recommend?

I know that there are more simple methods with less risk but the problem is I just purchased it about 2 months back, second hand and don't want to feel like I wasted my money.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The nitraductor needs a carbon source to run efficiently. Before we go further you must decide how you are going to supply the carbon source. There are a few options, denim balls, bio cubes, osmotic bag and vodks dosing via peri pump or syringe.

A MV probe is not necessary but it does make the reductor less labour intensive. Read the Deltec set up instructions in this link and you will get an idea of what suites you best. In the link are the manual, semi automatic and fully automatic methods. The instructions refer to reducing NO3 to 0 but you can also set it up to reduce to any NO3 you desire. Let me know if you need any more info.

Feeding a Nitrate Reactor | The Aquarium Solution

10. gaz19

gaz19

I've only ever used the aqua medic one, my controller is still 100%, got it when I got the reactor like 5 years ago. Probe last long but always nice to change them every 2-3 years, just my personal preference. I like the mv controller as it constantly monitors what's going on in there and gives me that piece of mind.
    But nemos janitor is right, they can be set up with out a controller.
    Fr carbon source I'm using the deni balls.

Recent Posts