ALWAYS check LFS salinity

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziyaadb, 25 Jul 2011.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Yesterday i picked up 3 cleaner shrimp for the wife. Decided to test the salinity as i was dripping them found it to be over 1.032:eek: My tank was sitting at 1.024. Dripped over over 7 hours to get them acclimated properly.
    Just beware and be vigilant when you do get new livestock. because i usually only acclimate for 1 to 2 hours. Think i would have killed them if i done it that quick.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Wow interesting. Usually the LFS keep their salinity low.

Any chance you can let us know who the LFS is? Maybe you should let them know also.

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I dont think so, dropping salinity in far less stressful than raising it. I wish the LFS i use would run at a higher salinity than i do but they generally run at 1022. Its the opposite to PH a rise in ph is not as stressfull as a drop in ph.

5. pXius

pXius

Almost all the LFS i buy from are 1.024-1.025 and my tank is normally 1.025-1.026.

Never had a problem.

I do however know of a lfs that uses a glass hydrometer to mix their salt... scary

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Normally the LFS run their fish only tanks at 1.022 or below that. Even down to 1.018. For whitespot and other deceases. And its cheaper for them.

Their coral tanks are around 1.025 because corals do not handle low salinity that well.

So if you buy fish from separate tanks from same LFS, out of coral tank and the other from fish only tanks, take into account that the salinity most likely will not be the same.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

@Sentari - Its a LFS in my area and they are Really Good Guys and i usually support them think it was overlooked. Oh yes i did immediately let them know.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Manic

Manic Moderator

I know a lot of shops that use glass hydrometers to mix their salt. The Tropic Marin Hydrometer is the more accurate than refractometers.

9. pXius

pXius

yea, but this was just a cheapo buy the looks of it. I wont call names but I doubt anyone with even a little knowledge would by anything from them, including tropical fish.

The tanks just look nasty overall. Its sad really. :(

Recent Posts