Alveopora?

Reaction score
Is this an Alveopora? I am 99% sure it is. LFS had it marked as a Pagoda, but i was almost certain it was an alveopora so took it since its been #1 on my want list for months now.

12974a16814bc2226.jpg

Polyps were barely showing in the LFS and yesterday in my tank, this afternoon the middle branch seems to have opened up nicely. Just a bit concerned about the top right corner of the left branch and the top tip of the right branch they dont look as healthy to me.

Yes Kunhardt. It definitely seems to be an alveopora (or perhaps goniporia).
I believe the difference between the 2 can be told, by the number of tentacles, per polyp.....
ONE IS FOR SURE: THIS IS NO PAGODA CORAL!

Hi Kunhardt,

Yes, that is a Alveopra. You will find that the Alveopra has twelve tentacles with large polyp extention and are usually branching.
They don't want to much water flow and feeds on Phytoplankton, light and fish feces.

Yes Kunhardt. It definitely seems to be an alveopora (or perhaps goniporia).
I believe the difference between the 2 can be told, by the number of tentacles, per polyp.....
ONE IS FOR SURE: THIS IS NO PAGODA CORAL!

:lol: Ya didnt think so

Hi Kunhardt,

Yes, that is a Alveopra. You will find that the Alveopra has twelve tentacles with large polyp extention and are usually branching.
They don't want to much water flow and feeds on Phytoplankton, light and fish feces.

Thanks Masked Angel. It does indeed have 12 "petals" this is what led me to believe it was an Allveopora when i saw it in the shop. I have placed it in the front of my tank where there is not much flow, but there does seem to be a "draft" coming through somewhere from under the rocks, hope ist not too strong though. As for food, will ocean nutritions coral food be okay? or should i look at investing in some phytoplankton based food, like the brightwells one? Only info i couldnt find on the net was if it needed target feeding or not?

Thanks

I just loved the shape of this peice of coral, its got a flat solid base with the 3 branches coming off, this allowed me to place the base under the sand giving the look of 3 seperate corals :) just hope the other 2 heads open up completely.

They almost always fade away ,pretty much like goniopora, live for a while even growing and then a gradual decline till death. Its not a good idea to purchase a coral that is not 100% happy with good polyp extension. Good luck though

They almost always fade away ,pretty much like goniopora, live for a while even growing and then a gradual decline till death. Its not a good idea to purchase a coral that is not 100% happy with good polyp extension. Good luck though

Its a pity i didnt notice the 2 outer heads didnt look so good in the shop, the corals had just arrived so took lack of polyps extention for recovering from shipping still. Still its looking better by the hour so praying its going to be 100%. The middle head is now completely opened up and fully extended, lets hope the outer two come right

I had read that aveoporas are infact a lot more hardier than gonioporas, at least that seems to be the general concensus these days. I know i have read articles from a couple of years back where they said they were just as finicky. I will just have to give it the utmost care and pampering and hope that it goes on to live a long and happy life :)

Mark now this is why we need a couple of pics of your tank on your thread

Come on bud

Please

Mark now this is why we need a couple of pics of your tank on your thread

Come on bud

Please

My tank is looking grubby :( cant pin point it or why exactly something just doesnt sit well with me with it, so until it looks all shiny again its staying off the forum :razz:.
You're welcome to come past and visit and see it again though ;)

12974a17e316932b6.jpg

Heres what it looks like today, a bit better than yesterday. Still the RHS heads tip looks to be dead. Should itry and clip it off?

12974a17e357cbdb2.jpg

Top down...

Back
Top Bottom