Aluminium

Reaction score
Hi
Can one use aluminium to support light tubes in a marine tank ore will it give something harmful off because of the salt water

Last edited:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it would last long, sea water is pretty nasty stuff - it would eat up Aluminium pretty quick.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Many light fittings are made from aluminium, no problem that I am aware of.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Isn't the aluminium that you buy at the hardware shop or wherever already treated?

Reaction score
When Alu oxidises, it actually protects itself. Go gash a piece of alu and see the shiny metal under the Alu oxide. unlike iron, where the rust (iron oxide) falls away and the metal reduces.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
When Alu oxidises, it actually protects itself. Go gash a piece of alu and see the shiny metal under the Alu oxide. unlike iron, where the rust (iron oxide) falls away and the metal reduces.
I would agree, but salt water is very caustic, and will rot through many metals, who knows what will fall in your tank.

Reaction score
@Viper, sometime but mostly not.

True, but I wouldn't like the residue falling into my tank....

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Wildbunny - and Welcome to MASA! I think that my main question would be:
WHERE exactly are you planning to use the Alimunium? Above the tank to keep the lights up? Or somehow inside the tank water?

If above the tank, then I would think that (as many has replied already) ANY form of either anodized aliminium would be OK - it could still get SOME form of white rust on it/in it though - at some stage.... BUT the chances of this getting into your tank is slim.

Trying to use aluminium INSIDE your tank I would think is a NO-NO......

Good luck!