Aluminium use around the tank

Reaction score
Hy Bob, Leslie, guys . . .

I want to mod my light unit by adding more t5s - I need to build a frame around the unit to hold the new lights - My question is this - Can I use aluminium from builders warehouse to build this with or will the alu leak into to system thru salt creep, water splatter etc. I've read that alu phosphate removers can damage softies etc?

thx c:thumbup:

I'm sure you can, Andreas built himself a lighting unit from aluminium - not sure if he treated it or something. Check out his tank thread.

My old 6ft tank had an aluminium hood. No problems. I have also seen on some of the international forums where some of the guys make aluminium sliding lighting rigs.

I used Aluminum on my setup- No Problems:

The Alu sheet that I polished, again from Class Glass:

161120072059.jpg

Ok, some photos of last week- polishing my butt of on the frame
291120072207.jpg

291120072210.jpg

WOW! thats amazing - thanks for sharing!. . . Okay that has all my ideas all " deurmekaar" and I'm thinking of something alltogether different.

Anyone have an idea where I can buy aluminium sheeting in Pretoria

sorry for the late reply but from what i have read and knowing the aluminuims resistance to corroding quickly id say yes it should be fine.. being the worry wart and painter i am, id perhaps use a clear lacquer areosol to just give it that extra edge and to prevent tarnishing.. the added lifespan is worth a R23 bottle of spray.

If you use bare aluminium it will corrode especially in a saltwater environment. You need to treat it, apply strontium chromate primer primer and then two coats of paint.

Christiaan did you look through this thread? seemed really good to me before i left and cheap:)

Alanod in Johannesburg - Lighting

also i am told to remove the protective film, a cloth with some meths applied to it makes it peel much easier, but i have never done it

i am using that, very reflective

Back
Top Bottom