Alternate Ideas for sumps

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 14 Apr 2013.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey Guys with new filteration options seeming to be taking serious spotlight at the moment like Orca Nitragaurd Bio cubes, should the standard sump not be re looked at?

I know they can now, with this method basically have 2 compartments a larger to hold reactors and skimmer and a return chamber.
    What about using big square clear plastic containers and drill all neccesary holes in the sides and lids?
    This could look very neat and stop salt creep, be cost effective, and allow you to remove the entire sump and clean easily should you wish?
    would these containers give off anything harmful into your tank?

Could even connect a few together should you wish to add a refugium or frag tank?

Last edited: 14 Apr 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Seen a setup before that used such containers. He had one for filter sock and skimmer, another for bio balls, one for return, etc etc. It was very handy for moving and cleaning cause they each had a ball valve between so could be moved and replaced as needed.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I saw a sump using 2 plastic dustbins.

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

would work out a lot cheaper too

6. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

What you are talking about is stlli a sump, you are just using different containers or material (not glass) as the sump
    No matter what you make it out of, if it is below your DT its still a sump.
    Connecting a few containers together will have the challenge of balancing the flow of the inlet and the outlet.
    I am not saying it can't be don't, you will just have to do some clever plumbing.
    The real alternative would be a DT without a sump at all, only using media reactors, would you be able to run a system like that?
    I am sure you will, but why sacrifice the additional volume of water that adds to the stability of the system if you have the space and budget for it.
    A sump gives you the space for all sorts of stuff, like a refugium. Where would you put it without a sump.

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

i think that there will always be sumps. the choice is what to put in it in order to keep dt neat

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've seen that as well, and he had a R15000.00 skimmer in one of the dustbins, lol.

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Well, i have completely redesigned my sump in my 150l nano & it only has 2 chambers now.
    First chamber has bio-cubes + skimmer & second is return with some phosguard. & thats it...
    Saves me more than half the space & looks a lot neater!

The plastic containers work well, but i have seen quite a few that started to buckle/ bend out & eventually they break. So if you want to use that, make sure you get some decent quality containers!

10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Here is a pic of my new sump. Takes up less than half the space of the old one. (Old sump took up whole cabinet.
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

wow what are u going to do with all this space!

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

the unused space

13. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Lol, already filled it with diy dosing containers, radion power supply, skimmate container & battery backup...
    Its what i would call, "a well utilized space"!

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Advantage of a glass sump is that you can make it as big or small as you want it. Plastic containers you must use what you can get. Plastic tend to eventually buckle out, so they need some steel support structure to keep their shape. Other thicker plastic tubs will cost you more than glass tanks anyway. Lastly you cannot see what is going on inside the sump with a black tub. That is why we mostly end up using glass sumps.

Depending on your space, a sump with added refugium is a nice extra food source as well, plus the macro algae get rid of excess nutrients a lot cheaper than other methods. Also a DSB with a deep water level (200 - 250mm or more) above the sand is a excellent space to temporary keep an injured or naughty fish.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

sounds really cool! pics pics

Recent Posts