Also a newbie!

Reaction score
As stated in ,y post to Werners thread. i'm also new to Marine Aquriums, I bought a ready set up display tank from an aqurium. I have 3 clown fish and an anenome and 4 live rocks. I'm concerned about my levels? I tested for PH, it was at 9, the shop said to test for KH, which I did and it was at 9, and to put in Cape Coral Care PH & KH Buffer and test again. The PH stayed the same but now the Kh has dropped to 7 to 8? I want to get the rest of the tester kits, but at this stage I'm already stressing about my levels! Can anyone tell me what the heck is going wrong? I've got 7 years tropical aquarium experience and I'm now feeling rather clueless???

hmmm to soon for fish, the pros will have good advice, my guess is from the move

First think, you need to give more info on your tank. Volume, filtration etc.

Both your pH and Alk are not good.

Are you doing water changes ? If so what salt are you using ?

The easiest way to get your Alk up and your pH down, would be using Bicarbonate of Soda. Once we know the volume of your tank we can give you some ideas of dosing.

You need to do a few water changes over the next couple of days and make sure you get these levels right.

the move will have caused an upset in the biological scheme of things, now the tank has to adjust. even if the tank was months old, its like being new now.

my advice would be to take the livestock to the petshop for keeping until your tank has recovered from the move.

i am sure others will agree

Ok, i was not aware of moving tanks etc. but IMO a tank move causes problems with Nitrogen compounds not normally pH and Alk.

If your Nitrites and Ammonia levels are too high, your livestock will die, once again water changes are the only solution here.

You say you a nemmie ? How old is your tank, sounds like it could be way to young for this kind of creature.

Also have you created the correct living conditions for this creature IE: Lighting, Flow and Powerhead Protection ?

I hope so?

The guys at the shop said the tank is mature and ready for fish? It had a star fish and a Clown fish when we bought it. I searched the net, and everyone seems to have problems with low Ph, I couldnt find anything on PH thats too high? And the experts gave me a powder that has now made the KH levels too low? So I'm starting to wonder about the expert advice cause it seems to have made things worse?
EEk! Is starting out mormally this stressful? Or is it punishment for buying a "ready setup" tank and not going through the set up process?

relax you are in good hands, just listen to the guru's and all will be well, they should be replying soon.

i would go with bad information from LFS, remember with this hobby, more haste less speed, read and learn, and listen and learn

More Info

I have a BOYO system, seems to come in two sizes, small and large, I have the large... One of those Ready set up systems, with the built in sump and std lighting and skimmer....

Marines can be stressful when starting as there is so much information to absorb, and most of it is very important to keep your inmates happy and alive.

We can help out get things sorted.

If this is a mature tank, then water changes are going sort out all your problems, but you have to do them soon, like first thing tomorrow and the next day etc.

Answer my questions and we can start giving some good advice and make your life less stressful ;)

The tank was a few months old when we bought it a week ago? I'm going to get the nitrate tester kit tomorrow and get the Store to also do some tests in the meantime... We have already done a water change and added water from the Two Oceans Aquarium. Will be doing this on a weekly basis....

then my suggestion might have been to harsh, my bad....

water changes: make sure sg is correct, water is the right temp, i would say 5-10% water change...

Warr is well versed, listen to him

As for lighting, its the STD lighting with the Boyo tank? I have the Seio powerhead, set on low flow.

The tank was a few months old when we bought it a week ago? I'm going to get the nitrate tester kit tomorrow and get the Store to also do some tests in the meantime... We have already done a water change and added water from the Two Oceans Aquarium. Will be doing this on a weekly basis....

Ok here is my take on this.

If you get that Nitrite/Nitrate kit, that would be a great start. Check the Nitrite and if possible Ammonia levels, don't worry about Nitrates just yet.

If these are above 0.05 ppm then you need to do water changes now, not next week. The water change will remove and dilute the bad nitrogen compounds. These will kill fish, so heed my warning ;)

You need to give me info of these products that are being dosed, normally a product sold is a kH buffer ??

Sorry to do this to you, but rather you know this now. If you kH keeps dropping you are going have more problems, so we need to get that under control.

Find what moel boyu you have, or check out some of the nano threads, so we can work out the volume of your tank.

Lastly the nemmie is not going do well in a Nano unless you upgrade the lighting to a minimum of T5's

I think its the T550 Boyo, but will double check. Will upgrade the lights tomorrow. And get more water from aquarium, and do a water change tomorrow. The water was a bit brownish when we bought it, which from my fresh water experience, is bad?
The KH Buffer, is made by Cape Coral Care, its a PH and KH Buffer? I will get a 2nd opinion tomorrow with regards to the Buffer product, cause my gut tells me its not what I need.

These are our live rocks, the small one has little flowers that open up. The top looks like dead coral and on the right in the corner is the anenome with an african clown fish residing in it. Its so awsome to watch the clown feed the anenome! I really will not be able to bare losing a fish! So whatever needs to be done, will be sorted tomorrow. If I need more lighting, I will make sure its done tomorrow! I have ammonia filter aids and a white and black sponge in the sump. Do I need anything else?

OK, the Boyu 550 are good tanks.

Check out this thread, give you some ideas on lighting upgrades :Tinkering with my 550! - Members Systems and Setups

Ph and/or kh buffer are good products, but you can save yourself a load of money by using to very economical products - BiCarb of Soda for kH / Alk and Slaked Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) for pH.

Keep this caluclator handy, helps loads - 'Reef Chemistry Calculator FV'

Here are the results using the Bicarb. The way to introduce this into the system is mixing with some RO water, or if you don't have, use some tank water and slowly, ideally dripping it in over a couple of hours.

As you will see in the results, it will also drop your ph, and then you A for away.

5284967d0324ed60.gif

i hope this helps and good luck

Back
Top Bottom