Al's New Tank

Al

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I havent posted on the forum for a while, I have been reading through some threads now and again.

Im very keen to upgrade to a bigger tank :). I currently have a Boyu TL 550. I intend to get a tank with measurements of 900L*650W*650H. It will be on a stand, 900L*650W.

I need some advice on the following,

1) Will T5 lights 4*39W be enough?(Softies & LPS).

2) I intend to buy the Bubble Magus BM100 Skimmer. Any one have this skimmer? Is it good enough and how noisy is this skimmer?

3) What will my sump size be? I should fit in the stand.

Any comments will be welcomed.

Hi Everyone,

I havent posted on the forum for a while, I have been reading through some threads now and again.

Im very keen to upgrade to a bigger tank :). I currently have a Boyu TL 550. I intend to get a tank with measurements of 900L*650W*650H. It will be on a stand, 900L*650W.

1) Will T5 lights 4*39W be enough?(Softies & LPS). Should be ok for softies and some LPS

2) I intend to buy the Bubble Magus BM100 Skimmer. Any one have this skimmer? Is it good enough and how noisy is this skimmer? Don't know this skimmer

3) What will my sump size be? I should fit in the stand. As BIG as possible - the bigger the DSB the better and the bigger the sump the more water volume giving you a more stable system ;)

O ja, welcome back :wave2:

Thanks for the commentsTobes, Nice to be back.:)

Do you thnk i must go for better lighting?

Go for a lower tank as this will make the lights more effective and in my opinion it looks better.

Ocean has a point. If you're planning on building according to your own specs, rather make the tank say 500mm high with a 450mm water level and make it a bit wider. The lights will penetrate better, you'll work easier in the tank and the wider will be better for aquascaping ;)

if you are having a custom tank built, make the length 950 then the sump can be a std 900 (3ft) ..... Agree on the depth, i have a 700 deep tank with water level at 650... not easy to work in and lighting is a pain

Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately I cant go longer or wider due to the space constraint :(. I will probably have to settle for this size.

Al - I think that you will have a DEFINITE winner with the Bubble Magus skimmer. It's a chinese knock-off of the Bubble Master skimmer...... And Bubble Masters are REALLY SOME OF THE BEST!

Thanks Jaquesb.

Do you know if this Skimmer is noisy by any chance, cant seem to find any reviews on this Skimmer.

Al - I don't think it is TOO noisy, as it is an external skimmer...... so, all the piping should be connected..... my 2 x TS2 skimmers is very quiet - except for water noise - which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE (calms me) from the water "boiling" from the outlet pipes.....

Hi Everyone,

1) Will T5 lights 4*39W be enough?(Softies & LPS). excellent for this size more the merrier..

2) I intend to buy the Bubble Magus BM100 Skimmer. Any one have this skimmer? Is it good enough and how noisy is this skimmer? again excellent choice this puppy packs a punch for money spent try get one without the atman pump.. in my past experience these pumps were never really good, but thats my opinion..

3) What will my sump size be? I should fit in the stand. as big as possible..

now here are the pics..

Check with Imarine about the Bubble Magus performance. He has some experience with one of them. I heard good stuff from these skimmers.

ill be going to the lfs later to look at these skimmers. Leslie, the BM150 has an aquabee pump which is the same pump used on the deltec ap600 and its an excellent skimmer. There is a major difference in price between the BM100 and BM150

Thats correct, the BM 100 come's with the Atman pump. The difference between the BM 100 and BM150 is about R2000. So its a big difference.

Hi Keyaam, Did you buy the BM100 skimmer? What does it go for if i may ask?

Back
Top Bottom