already lost a fish now another one is sick please help

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Trev, 1 Jun 2009.

1. Trev

Trev

Hi all

I need help one of my clowns delevoped a strange spot on oits body which looked like a open cut from something sharp. I was worried that perhaps my female electric blue which had only been in the tank for 4 days was the culprit so I put the blue in a isolated tank which I use for aclimatizing to give the clown a chance to recover. The clown only became worse and died. Now two days later my black clown has the same wound but currently is still eating fine and very active. However the blue is still isolated from the rest. What could be causing this and how do I combat it. I have never had sick fish. Also it has affected the clown type I also have a angel , purlpe lobster , Elect blue , picasso trigger and another percular clown ARE THEY AT RISK WHAT SHOULD I DO I AM SO WORRIED.

please help

Trevor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

I should also give some details. I use grotec sinthetic water feed both flakes and frozen currently my water comp is Nitrite 0 Amonia 0.1 PH 8.3 other than this my system has been running without a glitch for months now. The only recent addition being the black clown and the electric blue early last week.

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Where are these cuts?

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

Possibly the lobster, but its just a wild guess. Maybe there is a hitch-hiker crab somewhere?

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

How big is the tank?

It could be the Picasso, or the lobster... it could also be that you have a mantis shrimp hiding somewhere in the tank...

Hennie

7. dogstar

dogstar

how many different types of clown fish you got in there? I am sure i read that different species of clowns will fight.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Trevor - A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board! Sorry that we have to meet in such circumstances!

Fish having cuts is DEFINITELY inflicted by another fish or critter that have the capability of doing so, ie. surgeon fish and/or tangs!

Yes - it could possibly be the clown trigger, or perhaps even a hidden shrimp....\

I would like to see pics of the tank, though.

What size tank are we talking about?

Trevor - do you have pictures of the fish with the cuts? Please post these too?

Perhaps look at the clowns' behaviours - where are they MOSTLY located? Where are they hosting? It could possibly be something hiding away in this same location?

Have you see ANY hostility at ANY time between the fish at all?

9. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the urgency and advise.....

After looking at the symptoms of most common infections I am 100 sure that it is Marine Velvet as when I light over the fish the velvet colour glows.

I have reviewed the possible methodes of treating this and I am happy with starting with a fresh water dip and adding vitamin C to the aquarium to kill any other marine velvet on the other fish.

My only asumption is that this fish came from the LFS with the disease but Im only concerned with treating it now ....

Please guys if anyone has any objection with the fresh water dip and vitamin C then SHOUT AT ME ..... or any other options.

Thanks again
    Trevor

10. Tony

Tony

PLease post a pic od the fish

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Trevor. Please post pictures of your setup and the fish - it will give us a better idea of what we're dealing with.
    Marine velvet won't cause open cuts - that must be the lobster in my opinion.

12. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

your ammonia should be 0, has your tank cycled properly??

13. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Well when I looked at the area closely it doesn't look like a opencut anymore and the velvet glow is there. I will post a pic asap.

14. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

stress could lead to disease please tell us more about your tank

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Fresh-water dips are pretty stressful on marine fish, and certainly won't help for marine Velvet disease. Vitamin C might be beneficial, but again, it's pretty unlikely that it will cure the tank from Velvet disease.

IF this is actually marine Velvet (and IMHO there is still quite a bit of doubt if this is actually the problem) then you should remove ALL the fish to a hospital tank, treat them with copper, and keep the display dank without fish for 4-6 weeks before re-introducing your fish.

To echo a variety of previous posts: please post photos of the sick fish and of your tank, information such as how old is the tank, type of filtration, etc, bioload, and updated water parameters, including the brand of test equipment used to do the tests - with accurate factual information it will be much easier to give good advice.

Hennie

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Trev welcome to MASA...

Recent Posts