Alphachem iodine?

Reaction score
hey guys i think it was jacq that said he uses alphachem iodine.

think this is what he said:

+-50ml added to 250ml container
+- 200ml of ro water to the same container

dosage: he has a 870L tank and use +-25-30l\ml of that mixture 4 times a week.

if this is not jacq ,sorry but i think it is him.:whistling:

now i bought myself this bottle alphachem, is this it that you use?
or is it the bleached bottle?

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

picture a bit shit, it says on bottle
alpha
iodine tincture
(for external use only)
(for medical use)

sweet
it is brown i colour.
and how much do you think must i add to my system 250l-320l
10ml 4 times a week?

Just remember the dilution. I dilute mine with 200ml RO water...

Just tell me how many litres of water do you have in your system, Lanzo?

Also - original iodine IS INDEED brown.....

between 250-300l DT 250 and sump 80-100l but its full of sand so i think 50l in sump
so i would say 250-300l

thanks allot, can't wait to use this:jiggy:
i'll rather pay R8 than R150 for iodine, and it does the same thing:thumbup:

BTW: LAnzo - did you follow LappiesReef & 459b's thread about chemicals? I think it was LappiesReef that tested some commercially available iodine - did not even find LOW amounts in it!

Guys just a friendly warning to be carefull with dosing iodine froma chemist, its soo easy to overdose and the subsequent algae blooms you`ll have will be a real pain to get rid of.

so they didn't found any traces of iodine in the products?
was that the potato test?

oo, but how do you find this iodine?
you said your nenies love it.
hope mine gets better soon

Lanzo - I can see a definite difference in my nemmies in the way they open, after I have dosed this iodine.

Another thing Lanzo - do you use Activated carbon? Remember that activated carbon will most likely remove iodine from the water, therefore the dosing....

If think that IF you do water changes VERY often - that you could perhaps dose a little bit less even...

Jac- would Magnesium additions help a tank at all?
Like MgCl? Or is that all taken care of through water changes?

LappiesReef - corals and corralline uses magnesium, as well as some macro algaes. BUT, as far as I understand, the little amount of magnesium that is used up is so little, that it would not really be extremely beneficial to dose magnesium. There are two reasonings on why one would perhaps dose magnesium, and that is:
- either you KNOW that your magnesium levels in the tank is low, and you would want to dose
- OR (like in my case previously), you have a problem with e.g. bryopsis nuisance algae, and a very high magnesium count actually kills the bryopsis.... then you would want to dose extra magnesium to increase the magnesium levels to e.g. 1500mg/litre (from the average 1300mg/litre) to force the bryopsis nuisance algae to die off...

Great Thanks Jac.

I asked since most Ca and Mg uptake mechanisms depend on each other or for the two ions to be presnet in certain ratio's. For humans we best absorb calcuim if it is with magnesuim and vitamin D. I wonder what the case is with Corals.

Would Magnesuim chloride be an acceptable form to dose?

Yes - I am quite sure that it would, unless one doses a LOT without doing water changes. Then the chloride compound would most likely become out of balance...

In my case I dose with magnesium sulfide (Epsom Salts).... BUT, I don't think that I dose enough for the sulfide compound to become out of sync in my tank :)

Back
Top Bottom