(almost) new marine aquarist

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ajdefreitas, 23 Dec 2010.

1. ajdefreitas

ajdefreitas

Hi everyone at MASA. ;)

I have over the last few weeks made up my mind that i am ready for the challenge of this new hobby.

I have been looking for the perfect tank to start off with and have decided that i will go for the BOYU TL-550 ( i really hope this is a good tank, but this one seem to have everything for a beginner like me!) R3200, good price??

The pet shop i was buying this from ordered the tank for me but then sold it to another customer - you can imagine i was quite P'd off, but they have ordered another one for me that i will get early in the new year.. he seem to a be a little expensive so i am still looking around for LR, salt and sand (and test kit - think i will invest in the Tropic Marine) and i will probably have to go into Cape Town for this!!!

I am busy doing some intense research on the live stock i want to in the tank, but there is quite a lot to choose from!!! (any suggestions for a beginner?)

OK with that said, i am sure that i will still get a lot of help and advice from everyone here, you guys seem to know your stuff!!

Any suggestions are welcome to help get this started.

Well, hope you all have a leka festive season!!

Cheers,
    Anthony
    :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome bud! check the forsale forums because for R3000 you can pick up a TL550 with livestock or mods.. 2nd hand is nice:p .. You find some real bargains here so shop around and remember patience :tt2:

4. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

5. gaboon

gaboon

Welcome, as treyman said, look in he classified section, you could also find something quite a bit bigger for that price. The smaller tanks are harder to keep stable for beginners. Have fun! This is a great hobby

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I think you should be glad that your BOYU TL-550 got sold.

As already mentioned. Check for sale forums, and start reading. Next week if you are working, nothing will go on anyway at work. So browse MASA and start learning. If you at home, well, do the same thing.

7. ajdefreitas

ajdefreitas Thread Starter

ok so i gather the tl550 is not a good buy, the things is i want a tank that has everything built into it already so that it looks all neat and not showing everything!! i really just wanna start very small for now!! but if you guys think its not worth it then i will reconsider.. i can get one now for R2800 at a different store!!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, list what you want in your tank. And check the lightning capabilities of the buyo. I seriously doubt if you can keep Anemones, SPS corals or clams under the standard lights that come with a Buyo.
    Softies like leathers and mushrooms and zoa's should be ok. Also, check out the fish. Some need more space. Whatever.

Also check the filtration capabilities of the Buyo. Advocated on MASA is sumps that use DSB's for beginners. Lately there are a move over to other advance filtration options like Bio-pellets. But I for one will not advice any advance methods of filtration, be that bio-pellets Vodka or Microbe-Lift or whatever magic to any new reefer.

You got the weekend.

And remember, the number one rule in Marines. YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE.
    Anything you do in a rush, or impulse or whatever else excuse you use latter on, will most likely be incorrectly done, be it wrong equiptment. Incompatable fish, either with other fish or with you tank size. Or wrong coral choices.

You got this weekend, why be in a hurry. Only bad things happen fast. Know what you want, know that it will work and do that.

9. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

10. Q89

Q89

:welcome6:

11. zayd

zayd

Welcome.

I have the following tank for sale. Reduce price to R2000 with substrate. Has a sump for equipment. I had it for 4 years until I ran out of space with my move to SPS. It is a nice starter tank. Have a look at the thread.

320 ltre Corner Bow Tank: Cape Town - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Lights and streams have been sold, but still have the AM Wave.

Good luck with the new tank.

12. Tanz

Tanz

Welcome . . .

Recent Posts