All your nasties: critters, crabs, etc

dallasg

Reaction score
hi,

if you have any unwanted critters, dont flush, send them here...

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What are your plans with them? Species specific tanks? Food for mantis?

dallasg

Reaction score
i have several 2ft tanks in my system for refugiums, remote dsb's and thought they might add to the bio-diversity

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Crabs and shrimps will pray on the pod population in a refugium. There must be NOTHING that feeds on them, otherwise it defeats the purpose of having it. As the pods grow and multiply, they feed your main display - and with something chasing and chowing them, they will be in hiding always and not :Randy-git: like rabbits...
You can have the nasties, but preferably not in your refugium ;)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Tobes - I have about 4 hairy gorilla (xantid) crabs in my tank's sump - you SHOULD JUST SEE THE POD POPULATIONS in my tanks sump! Especially since I have removed the 2 x skimmers from the sump!

Reaction score
Tobes - I have about 4 hairy gorilla (xantid) crabs in my tank's sump - you SHOULD JUST SEE THE POD POPULATIONS in my tanks sump! Especially since I have removed the 2 x skimmers from the sump!
If you remove the skimmers, what are you using for mechanical filtration ?

Reaction score
OOOOOHHHH Warr - You CLEARLY missed out... have a look on my tank's thread..... ;) SOMETHING BIG....
Yeah, I saw the new skimmer, you made it sound like you don't have any :p

So the new boy is external ?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Do they eat pods? Or do you feed them? I know you can put certain species in (vegetarians :p ), but it is not advisable if they feed on pods. I mean why would you want to slow your pod production down if the soul purpose of the refugium is to feed your tank?
If you have a wine farm, surely you won't drink 6 of the 12 bottles in the case before you distribute them? OK, on second thought - rather don't answer that one Jacques :lol:

dallasg

Reaction score
i am having the second refugium for show, just a criters, imported algae tank etc... i am wierd i know, but the more thanks the better

even if they eat some, nothing like watching crabs etc do there thing, and it keeps them out the DT :)

dallasg

Reaction score
bump!!!

this will include aptasia as well :)

dallasg

Reaction score
bump!

dallasg

Reaction score
nope :)