All saltwater Imports to be banned

Reaction score
Don't know if you guys picked this up on MoneyWeb. I just caught a glimpse and the future looks dark. Kortbroek are planning to ban all saltwater import (corals and fish). The imposed ban will also strive to stop people from keeping such animals.

I'll see if I can find the link to the article again.

I really hope this is not true....

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
April fool's joke maybe? With a name like Kortbroek, wtf can take him seriously?

Reaction score
I seriously hope so. I mean stopping imports yes maybe. But what about those of us who already invested loads in our own tanks?

Reaction score
I've heard some rumers a while ago that the funa and flora (or some other national nature group) wants to ban importing of fish - even kois....
They argue that these "foreign" fish can land into our water systems, and without any natrual enemies - well things can get out of hand a bit.

This can have a huge impact on the pet trade industry.
Because if they want to argue like this they have to stop with:
1. Snakes,
2. Birds and other excotic imports...

The bastards!

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Be brave and face it: That 'Dutchman' caught you big time. The true thing is as follows: AS FROM 1 APRIL 2008 ALL FISH AND CORAL IMPORT PERMITS MUST BE SIGHNED AND APPROVED BY HERKIE VILJOEN AND THE IMPORT DUTIES CHARGED WILL BE PAID INTO THE FOLLOWING ACCOUNT:]
hERKIE VILJOEN
ABSA
ACC. NO. 2Q339987@#$%^
BRANH CODE RICHARDSBAY

Reaction score
Sheesh, just cycling my tank and my heart sank......:p

Reaction score
I've heard some rumers a while ago that the funa and flora (or some other national nature group) wants to ban importing of fish - even kois....
They argue that these "foreign" fish can land into our water systems, and without any natrual enemies - well things can get out of hand a bit.

This can have a huge impact on the pet trade industry.
Because if they want to argue like this they have to stop with:
1. Snakes,
2. Birds and other excotic imports...

The bastards!

They could allow us to keep politicians in cages. At least some of us could get some real benefit from them then

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No guys - this MUST have been an April Fool's joke.... We were just talking about the import of marine corals/fish at the CTRC last weekend....

Yes - there is serious considerations that will be taking place soon, BUT no banning of imports will take place - YET. Ask Muz more about this - he has done some serious homework on this in the past few months....

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
Why puppy? That we can propagate and supply ourselves, internally in the country? Start our own little mini farms? ;-)

GOOD IDEA MAN!:thumbup:

Corals will be come so much cheaper as well.:yeahdude:

Reaction score
Two weeks ago one LFS told me that crushed coral imports are baned. Anyone know if this is true?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Vzyla - I have not yet heard this. It could possibly that the LFS misunderstood, and that the suppliers were just out of stock.... I cannot see why they would ban crushed coral imports, as it is made from dead coral in any case already?

Reaction score
Hi Vzyla - I have not yet heard this. It could possibly that the LFS misunderstood, and that the suppliers were just out of stock.... I cannot see why they would ban crushed coral imports, as it is made from dead coral in any case already?
Sounded strange to me to. After all, it is dead as you said. Well its better, since it forced me to get aragonite which seems to be a better choice.:whistling: