all on a decline!!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by chikaboo, 7 Jan 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

[​IMG]Hi all bad news - after i removed the damsel all was oki untill yesterday - this morning things were not looking good at all my threadfin was looking very stressed and had dark spots on him like something bit him but no physical damage just dark patches - then about hour ago just sank to bottom and died :( - now the small damsel and the kleineye seem to be darting around the tank and the one tang also has patches on him dont know whats happening! The devil damsel in the sump still is happy as ever - the only medicine i have is Cuprazin from Waterlife but dont know if it will help - the other question is dont know if my skimmer is the right one but had used it before with no problems when my dad ran the tank for like 4 years with this kind of skimmer - also the temp is worrying me - sitting now 27/28 degrees - what to do what to do:(:(:([​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

sorry to hear... it sounds like nitrate poisoning, well from my exprience, what are your levels?

4. dallasg

thats a counter current skimmer, they are the best :)

is there any metal in the system? my little cousin thought it would be a good idea to hide a teaspoon in my sump once.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2009
  5. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

I am sure theres no such thing in my sump - and our lfs only has test kits for fresh water tanks - would they work ? it says they r six in 1 test - its a little strip that u dip in the water and gives u the readings?

6. dallasg

nope, u would need a saltwater test kit..
    how do u test your water?

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I had a feeling something wasn't quite right with your tank in your other thread.

Let's get down to basics.

1. That skimmer is hugely inadequate for a 2m tank.

2. How many pumps have you got in your tank to assist with waterflow?

3. How often do you do water changes?

4. What exactly is in your sump?

5. What is the temperature of your tank?

Please give us a list of all equipment you have running on this tank.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Chikaboo - try the following things urgently:
    1) place a loose fan over your sump or your tank -> try and get the temp down to at least 24 degrees Celsius (the warmer the water the less the oxygen! The colder the water the more oxygen in the water)
    2) temporarily place an airstone in the tank, to supply oxygen to the fish
    3) switch most pumps in the tank - leaving only one or two smaller pumps running - this will ensure that the oxygen from the airstone be distributed to the fish, WITHOUT causing the fish to overwork themselves (to excert themselves)
    4) Try and slowly reduce the salinity of the tank water - SLOWLY - to reduce stress on the fish - lowe the salinity of your tank down to ie. 1.022...

I hope that these measures will assist in saving your poor fish.

Sorry to hear about this!

This definitely sounds like a shortage of oxygen in the water!

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear.
    Couple of things, How long has this system been running? What are the water parameters?
    With fish darting around the place it sounds like there is something in the water they are not happy with my guess would be amonia/nitrite or stray electrical voltage. If it is temp related they would be breathing up at the surface of the water.

10. dallasg

i thought poisoning of some kind, nitrate/nitrites etc

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Nitrate funny enough is fairly harmless to fish, its the nitrite you gotta watch.

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Urgently awaiting feedback from you, THEN we can venture a guess as to the problem...

Hennie

13. seank

seank

Amoniac Hennie????

14. Reef Maniac

Difficult to say without more info - It could be (the fish dashing around could point to either a lack of oxygen OR "burned" gills, caused bu ammonia), though I'm more inclined to guess Nitrite poisoning, as these compounds are nerve and blood poisons, and could explain the dark patches on the fish. We really do need more info before we can even venture a guess...

Hennie

15. jacquesb

One is DEFINITELY for sure - Viper is 100% CORRECT - that skimmer is DEFINITELY WAY WAY WAY too small for that tank! Even if it IS "just a FISH ONLY" system.

16. Reef Maniac

I totally agree.

Hey Chikaboo, I don't mean this as a flame, but if somebody posts in the URGENT Help Needed forum, we really consider it to be URGENT, and that's why this thread has had 5 responses within the first half hour - not replying for more than 4 hours after the first response makes this a rather NON-URGENT issue, don't you think... The least you could do after posting an URGENT message is to have the courtesy to check back regularly, and reply/give info as quickly as possible - we don't want to "Cry Wolf" to often on this forum, as then someone with a REALLY URGENT problem might not get an urgent response...

Hennie

17. jacquesb

Thanks Hennie - you totally correct.....

Chikaboo - please let us know what's going on?

18. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

hi guys so sorry for the delay had problems with the modem had to go to telkom to sort it out but back up and running! Ok first thing first the aircon in the room finally finished - hopefully this is going to bring the temp down - my floating hydrometer is reading 28 and the stick on is 29 but room is sitting at 31 - i c the fish are all close to the overflow slot may b its cooler there i am not sure! - i notice that in past few days my brown algea is starting to grow wild but on the top cover slip glass there are still alot of green leafy algea! The damsel is still very happy in the sump though - not racing around - no patches nothing just his normal fiesty self! - As for the airstones reply - iv got 3 x 30 cm fine bubbles along the centre of the tank so i dont think oxygen is a problem! - I got got no heaters at all coz as from October when i put the water the temp was always bout 25/26 - Ok for internal pumps iv got three small power heads facing the front of tank and two bigger ones facing the into the tank from opposite sides - so i think that is sufficient waterflow inside? - Then the rocks and the floor is covered with crushed coral about 3cm fine and 1 cm course thats it in the tank - in the side filter first compartment where water is starting in iv got just a little crushed coral and rocks and the second as well but the protein skimmer is in the second - then the is down to the sump same combination there - crushed coral first chamber with rocks and second same (with DEVIL DAMSEL) and the third chamber with a 2500litre pump taking water back to tank - entering in the centre and then t-piece left and right inflowing about three quarters of the tank - ok thats bout it - oh the lights - three four foot flourescent tubes - one blue-ish and the other something like blue moon crescent - i normally leave the dark blue one on during the night - not bright at all - ok thats it - where can i start fixing the problems?

19. jacquesb

Are you sarcastic? The skimmer is FAR FAR FAR FAR too small for a 2 metre tank....

This skimmer would PERHAPS work on a nano.... but not 100% sure either...

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

My question to you is what are your specific gravity?
    With what do you top up your evapourated water? With RO water or salt water?
    What water do you use to make the salt mix?
    I didn't see anything on the salt levels, so if I miss read this I apologise.

21. dallasg

was before i knew the size of the tank... i will edit and retract...

Recent Posts