ALL NEWBIES: On new tanks!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 17 Aug 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Not to be mean or not that it has anything to do with me, but I would like to bring budget under the attention of all newbies planning their reef tanks...

This is more directed to newbies as well, so please consider my opinions;

A lot of time newbies sees these great looking tanks in LFS and desides they also want a 10% share in the ocean, then they quickly dish out R7000 on a tank, thinking from here it will be smooth sailing... Well, you are wrong!!! :nono:

In this hobby, bigger is much more stable and does allow for more "mistakes" by the hobbiest, but bigger means more expensive - MUCH MORE!!! Not only on initial cost, but long term too...

Just to remind you, that the bigger the tank:

the bigger the skimmer
    the bigger the lights
    the bigger the water column
    the more liverock is needed
    the bigger DSB is needed
    the bigger water changes needs to be done...

Can I go on? ;)

My point is just that before you buy a tank, you need to determine what initial budget you have to start up, but in this hobby unfortunately it does not end there... :p

Research I have done on tank sizes and cost totals to set up are as follows:

(bare in mind this is no real DIY, and not the best of the best, but averages...)

A nano cube system: Total Cost: R6000 max
    A 1meter tank: R13000
    A 1.2 meter tank: R20000
    A 1.6 meter tank: R30000

and so on.

This total cost is taking into consideration especially the amount of liverock you need, the increase in skimming volume, the increase in lighting required etc...

So just to summarize, please newbies, make sure you budget right no only to start up with, but to run the system long term too... :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

looks like im in the wrong hobby!!haha:lol:

4. crispin

crispin

intrestuing prices there jaco, id personally say ive managed far cheaper than that, but i may be mistaken as i burn all till slips before i get home lest i actually know what my tanks cost!

there are ways to keep it cheaper, but i agree with the overall picture that people underestimate the costs, thus underbudget and end up spending a lot more to fix problems that have accured.

i would say though that simple pacients is quite possible the best way to say over the long run of a system. a Fully cycled tank left to mature and develop SLOWLY really is alot easier to mainatin, cheaper to maintain (less corrective steps) and has a better chance of sustainable aquaculture.

i personally think that if people research better and buy BIGGER to start it would save them finacially. I know mikebushie spend a fair amount on his system and mine overall was cheaper although alot bigger. i think the main difference was getting good second hand equipment where it counts and having reefing buddies\MASA to bounce prices and ideas off.

2 cents worth :)

ps smaller is so much harder, spend as much as you can afford to to get the biggest tank you can, then make tank 2 or three a little nano once you have learnt the common husbandry practices needed to keep small vollume tanks :)

5. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

well said crispin!:peroni:

6. Annoying

Annoying

Agreed, marine is a very expensive hobby but with a little imagination and planning, you can save allot of money!

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

It really is a catch 22.... the bigger the system the more it costs but the more stable (and thus more forgiving it is !) the smaller the system, the cheaper (assuming you are not conned into buying all sorts of un-nessicary K@K ) but the quicker things go horribly wrong esp when we start polaying with additives......

I strongly believe that the reason people see this hobby as so expensive is two fold

1 MOST (not all) LFS sell inappropriate and or out dated equipment, with completely exorbetent prices ... conning patrons out of thousands before they find the likes of MASA or give up the hobby

2 As south africans we have a long way to go in supporting and appreciating propper conservation practices, such as frag farming ..... more frag farms and propogation would see hardier corals less impact on reefs and ultimately less demand for the imported colonies. A by product of this conservation based approach to our hobby would be the availability of tank hardy frags at a reasonable price..... who in their right mind would buy a plating monti for several hundred rand if there was a reliable source of hardy frags consistantly available at reasonable prices??

there is no easy answer

Recent Posts