Urgent help needed All my worms are out of the LR &on the ground?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Mirage, 3 Mar 2011.

1. Mirage

Mirage

I have a fireworm and about 20 briste worms all sort of hovering on the surface of my sand / aragonite?? They are alive, they seem stunned? My salt level was a bit high, taken it down to 1.022. My latest LR has a mass of star polyps which have all of a sudden started dissapearing? Like they are melting? And there is an orange colouring on the LR??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

How high is your salinity? Don't bring it down too quickly. I would try to target 1.025 - 1.026.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agreed, also what is the temperature of the tank, is it stable during the day/night?

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

The orange colouring is fine, were the light on or off when u saw them ?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Is the light not off? I know bristle worms and other critter roam everywhere at night, on the glass, substrate, etc.
    Agree Brenda, don't make salinity changes too quickly. How long has this tank been running?

7. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

This is in my Mantis Tank... Its been running two months now... 6kg of LR, about a 50L tank.... 15w flo-glo light. Large hang on Aqua-clear 300 filter. Used mature water, sand and aragonite and LR to set it up with, for my Mantis shrimps that invaded my Nano...

I have run out of the nitrate test kit.

8. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

The light was off a LOT longer than usual about 18 hours, but the orange really troubled me? Its just all of a sudden appeared, and the polyps have dwindled in mass over the last 24 hours? In the 2 months the tank has been running I have never seen the worms out of the rock? Even the one Mantis was out and about, acting very unusually? He was almost playing? on the rock, seemed like he was drunk?

Perhaps I am just being paranoid because B forgot to turn the light on, but I am not accustomed to change in my tank? Perhaps the worms decided to feast on the polyps during the long dark spell and are resting on the ground while recovering from their feast? Whatever the case it was very strange to see so many of them?

I lowered the salinity from 1.027 down to 1.022 in 2 hours, a lot quicker than I would like to have done it, but it I was totally freaked out?

Temperature is very stable. Always on 26 or 27 degrees.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2011
  9. Anemone

Anemone

A salinity of 1.027 is not the cause. However, a drop from 1.027 to 1.022 in 2 hours is dangerous.

10. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

I dont have any fish in the tank, I do have 3 Mantis shrimp and a few tiny hitchiker crabs... It was a very quick set up due to the discovery of the Mantis... I would normally adjust the salinity over a 24 hour period, I only added 2L of R/O water over the 2 hour period, but on my cheap little plastic salinty measuring tub, it seemed to make a relatively big drop. Its not the most accurate measuring tool, an airbubble on the little arrow will adjust the salinity!

The Mantis seems much better than when I fund him looking "drunk" on the rock watching his tail flickering. Normally he scurries when he sees me and sticks his head out and ticks at me. The dissapearing polyps are strange? They have literally halved in volume over a 24 hour period???

11. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

Salinity on the measure jug now says 1.023-1.024. But thats what you get for R60....
    Could have been a bubble or maybe I measured too soon after adding the last glass of R/O.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The bristle worms and other life are trying to escape some form of poisoning. This could be lack of O2, High Co2, Copper, Iron, Toxins from a life form and a myriad of other less common causes.

I would first use my nose to smell if here are any electrical plastic odors coming from the tank or vicinity. These odors could come from a faulty pump (may still work) or electrical lead to a piece of equipment. Check thoroughly.

Lack of oxygen due to power outage for extended periods will also cause a build up of ammonia and increased Co2.

In any case the system is compromised and needs an urgent 50% water change. with high agitation at the water surface to release ammonia and toxins.

Oh low salinity will also cause these symptoms. Double check the salinity device you are testing with.

13. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

The metal cover over the light is starting to rust, I havent found a replacement yet, I wipe it off before it can drip into the tank, if a drop of water containg particles of rust, falls into the tank is that very dangerous? Its another major concern I have with that tank...

14. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

The Oxygen could be a factor... We did switch the pump off for about 4 hours during the night? It rattles and we couldnt sleep.
    Hopefully this temporary setup will be taken down and a better solution will replace it this weekend...

Nothing smells funny, the water doesnt have a wierd rotting odour. I have thundreds of tiny bugs crawling around. It just seems to be the new rock that giving problems? The worms are still crawling in and out of the other two I see? I'm really puzzled?

15. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

I'm with nemo's janitor, there's something else going on there. What's your parameters looking like?

16. Anemone

Anemone

Agreed! As will high salinity, but I don't consider 1.027 to be dangerously high. Definately check the testing device to see if it is accurate.

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Could be. Iron poisoning is initially more detrimental to fish than corals. Invertebrates are affected by copper quicker than fish.

Faulty pumps can have either of the two symptoms. But the tell tail is a plastic/toxic smell.

How are the worms now that you have the lights on and water circulating. are the worms running for cover or still just looking for help?

18. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would say that this is more than likely your problem, personally i have never found dropping salinity quickle too much of a problem, raising it is another story.

Recent Posts