Urgent help needed All my fish are dying

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Jaco Schoeman, 24 Oct 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi

Over the last week I have suffered huge loss in my tank :(; as per my previous thread, my Regal Tang was ill. I spoke to Dewald from Dorry Pets and he suggested treating her in a hypo tank, but said that becuase it is so small, it might not survive. The following morning after having it in the hypo tank, it was dead.

Over two weeks time, I have now lost two Sunburst Anthias, two goldie anthias, a regal tang, a purple goby and royal gramma.

Now, the weird thing is that only the royal gramma and the regal tang had clear visible signs of whitespot.

All the others were fine, swimming around and all was eating well. No visible cause of death, and no broken fins etc. Some of them, like the goby and the one sunburst anthea then "sat" at the bottom of the tank for about a day. Then, the following morning they would be dead.

Others died to my absolute amazement, as there was NO sign at all of them being sick, and then they would be dead.

The obvious thing would be to suspect ammonia, but then, none of my corals show ANY sign of ammonia being present. Surely I would notice the presense of it right?

I did about a 30% water change over the last week, but that still did not help.

The only thing I have left now is a Percula Clownfish and a small cleaner wrasse.

What could it be, and what do I do? Dont wanna stock any fish now, as I'm scared they will follow the same journey. **I must also mention at this stage that all the fish were fine, and then I introduced the Regal, and from there all hell broke loose. Could the Regal have introduced a disease so fatal?

I have not done any paramater checks, but I will try and take some water to my LFS to check out.

Any ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I find if there are no signs of disease it is usualy nitrate poisening, could also be gill parasites though , check the nitrate first.
    Good luck

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

sorry to hear of your losses, the variables are many, The perameters of your tank may be wrong causing stress in tank which makes fish susceptible to other things and allows illnesses to spread. it may be as simple as ph too low or ammonia being too high, do a full battery of tests to eliminate all possibilities.

5. Yuri

Yuri

it must be sum thing from the regal tang
    was the white spot small (then it can be marine velvet or brooklynella)
    hypo do not work for marine velvet or brooklynella
    hypo only work for ich
    copper work for ich and marine velvet
    formalin work for ich , velvet and brooklynella
    normally with marine velvet or brooklynella it sticks in the gills then the fish will sat at the bottom of the tank or the top of the tank

6. FransSny

FransSny

Why do everyone run for hypo...its not the do & end all of disease cures. Jaco here is my 2C, the disease came with the regal.I agree with Yuri

The WS might just well be a manifestation of an underlying disease (WS is an opportunistic pathogen and normally first to arrive on the scene), we thus sometimes treat without knowing what we treat for.

I am not going to guess what is the cause as you have given very basic information but this is what I am sure it is not. Nitrate poisoning (unless you havent tested in ages), ammonia (your corals would be first to show signs)

Good luck

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

im scheming brooknella or velvet

8. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

What i know of the nitrigen cycle is ammonia is the first thing to be produced from the introduction of organic matter such as fish and corals , usuly in a new tank, or from a existing tank after a 8 hour power faliar ,Complete filter clean, massive over feeding and unseen dead fish decomposing.

After reading the post, you have royal grammas, reagle ect, wich will mean you dont have a new tank( unless you realy rushed things ), and unless you recall something went wrong recently( in the last week,It shouldnt be ammonia if you can recall something going wrong in the last 2 - 3 weeks , it could be nitite- But the symptims of ammonia poisening whould be the fish Taking deep breaths or huddling in safe ares.

Nitrite whould drive the fish closer to the surface where there is more oxygen as the nitrite is causing gill damage and they seem to want more oxygen ( even if there gills cant use it while there is nitrite poisening )

For nitrate poisening the tank would have to be older than 4 - 6 monthys before it became a problem, depending on the stocking level or feeding.
    The symptims of nitrate poisening are fish not swimming as much as they used to , a slight loss of appatite and seemingly healthy fish just dying.

After writing this im realising that the high nitrate would also stop your corals from opening to there fullest, so now ide have to thing its leaning more towards gill parisites, but its all just speculation, but i would love you to test the water and let us know i can learn some more.

9. gaboon

gaboon

Agree with yuri. Sorry dude

10. magman

magman

My thoughts are with you Jaco, I am going through the same stress, at first I thought it was flukes, I have been treating the DT for it, but now it seems to of spread and of course not being able to skim, the parameters go south as well. If only we knew, and it is stressful I know, especially till you find out what it is then you can treat for what it is.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

when u bought the regal was it in a tank with a clown? Clowns carry brook

12. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Oh well ....:(

13. gaboon

gaboon

Was saying sorry to jaco.

14. magman

magman

15. Qaiser

Qaiser

Sorry for your. I had the exact same problem fish were fine for more then a year then I introduced a blenny and about two weeks everything just died.I did a 50% water change, vacuum the sand bed, dosed stability and then just did a water change every week and started adding stock a month later. I still don't no what cAused it but everything well now. Good luck. I takes alot to start purchasing live stock again. Up till today I still think twice

16. colbar

colbar

Jaco sorry for your loss.It so sad to lose 1 fish, not to mention many more. Have been reading so much of this lately. Have you guys perhaps been getting new livestock from a particular source. I dont mean the LFS but perhaps Indonesia/Kenya etc. Something is definitely up, maybe there is a common denominator here.

Recent Posts