All hale the cleaner wrasse

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Lowflyer, 4 Jun 2009.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys, I think I might have parasites in my water, and I mean I think i have a lot. The fish were not flicking in the LFS, but about an hour after entering my tank the new one started having problems with his guills. Now my friend has a cleaner wrasse and he reckons that it saved his tang from certain death, do you think that adding a cleaner wrasse (that is eating prepared foods) would help to slowly eliminate these parasites? As my cleaner shrimp seems to hide away and only sits in one spot where the fish are not.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prodigy

Prodigy

im sure it will help if there is indeed parasites dude...
    But getting one is the prob unless u wanna buy one which is kinda a waste if u can catch them.... dale n I got bought 8 from TK...

4. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Well if these clowns do well for now, then daniel can catch for me when he goes up again ;)

5. Prodigy

Prodigy

Yea dude i know he wants one so ya mayb hey
    but lets see what the guru's think first

6. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Yup, wait on the priests of marine fish keeping:)

7. crispin

crispin

sorry to question you lowflyer, but are you sure that its parasites to start with?

sounds more enviromental (as in a change in water paremeters) to me, how long were they acclimatized for and what in your PH and SG in particular?

8. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

SG is 1.026, not sure about the PH at the moment, gonna get KH, Calcium and PH tested tomorrow. Do fish flick like that when there is a water param prob, I've never heard of that, thought it was parasites. Acclimation over 45 minutes, first got temp same then start adding half a cup of tank water to the bag every 5 minutes.

9. crispin

crispin

they can with specific relation to ph as it can cause an irratation, speifically to the skin and they flick or rub against gravel or LR. that just my gut feel, but I am miles away, you'd know better.

10. crispin

crispin

also if you look closely (very closely) can you see if any of the scales are raised off the body?

11. Dale6

Dale6

always heard fish flick when they are unhappy with water parameters or when they r gonna get white spot but i dno check with the gurus?

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Cleaner wrasses are cool to have dude just a word of warning though : add your cleaners at one time into the the tank - no matter what the size of the cleaners you add at a later stage the original cleaner will sure as hell kill the newbie! (talking from experience)Also bear in mind they are wrasses so night time will be looking for some form of substrate to sleep in - make sure you have nice rounded ones as they will injure themselves getting underground everynight!

Recent Posts