All eastern cape reefers

Reaction score
To all eastern cape reefers we are wanting to Start an eastern cape marine aquarist association

We are busy establishing a meeting a date so we can appoint a committee, i have elected to act as president until the final comitee is voted on, and since have appointed tridan secretary(just to do the dirty work:p)

all inputs, views, help and support will be much appreciated, i hope to hear from all PE and surrounding area's reefers:D

coolio
slim

Of course Port Alfred would be a good spot (surely anyone who is serious wouldnt mind a one and a half hour drive each way) having it in EL will just lead to An EL reefkeepers club, PE is much bigger than EL ( i am not talking about People who post on Forums Just look at the LFS's here compared to EL)
And yeah get hold of AMAS as well they are the oldest Marine Aquarist Society in SA, Also get hold of FELA and the Oceanarium

Also I think the purpose of the club much be made clear.

And you would need to involve, "non internet reefers" there are many out there with plenty to offer, also involve the LFS's right from the beginning so that they dont feel like you are forcing anything on them, let them have a say.

If you are going to this and want to have credibility its going to have to be representative

And be careful of making it an wannabe enviromental policing agency.

Good luck it seems like a good idea

Hi Phat and Kanga
As Kanga points out there is already AMAS, most of the AMAS members are not using the forums, many do not have internet access. I see no reason for the clubs to not be associated in some way and the best way of any success is to have a mutually beneficial relationship. I will discuss the development with the rest of the AMAS committee in December and in more detail next year. Please email me any correspondence you wish me to put to the committee.
Regards Steve

Hi Steve

please send me your e-mail address, we need a provincial club that all town clubs can associate with

steve at bayworld.co.za
If you want to send me stuff to put in our magazine send it through to me as a document.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course Port Alfred would be a good spot (surely anyone who is serious wouldnt mind a one and a half hour drive each way) having it in EL will just lead to An EL reefkeepers club, PE is much bigger than EL ( i am not talking about People who post on Forums Just look at the LFS's here compared to EL)
And yeah get hold of AMAS as well they are the oldest Marine Aquarist Society in SA, Also get hold of FELA and the Oceanarium

Also I think the purpose of the club much be made clear.

And you would need to involve, "non internet reefers" there are many out there with plenty to offer, also involve the LFS's right from the beginning so that they dont feel like you are forcing anything on them, let them have a say.

If you are going to this and want to have credibility its going to have to be representative

Good luck it seems like a good idea

Kanga in no way am i trying to detract from or take over any marine club, we need a a provincial body to represent the eastern cape which will associate itself with the national body, and in turn we hope for FELA and AMAS and any other association to associate with us.

you tredding on dangerous waters there dude as if you know what he government has in store for us you wouldn't rule this out, just because ppl are raping our coast in short government wants to stop all import of all marine inverts, does not solve the raping story but effects us as marine aquariust, we need one voice per province to speak through a national association to let the government know we intend no harm to our environment but support the conservation of it.

cal if i have anything wrong here pls correct me,

another thing i volunteered to get this off the ground as it has been speak for a while now and no one has done anything about it, i have not said i am president instead acting president until the people can vote for a comitee, if you would like to see further what we have on the plans(tridan and myself) look at the ECMAA forum on SARK, we asked for a forum here to keep it neutral grounds as this is not a forum initiative but a provincial, we hope to relay information across boards and communicate via non form members via LFS's, we are wanting someone in PE and surrounding towns to approach LFS's there but we need to get a mission statement and a vision first, obviously we can not do unless we have formalised a committee.

i ask and would very much appreciate everyones co operation with this to get the word out to as many reefers as possible forum members and non forum members as this can and will only benefit the hobby in a strong and positive way.

you suggested we have a meeting in port alfred? i suggest the pig and whistle in bathurst, (been a while since i been to monkey town anyways) good foos and the locals are a laugh

Our POA is to get flyers up at all LFS's advertising the fact that a committee is to be formed and we need support, the flyers i will pay for to have printed and sent around the eastern cape, again i stress that this is a provincial initiative and not a internet board looking for more hits

peace dude and chill

steve i would like a news letter please:D

one mre thing i can assure members about is that the ECMAA will not stand for or tolerate any politics in any way, politics has no place in anything marine.

To elaborate a bit more, The proposed structure would be a joint venture between AMAS and FELA, both are currently running and would be pointless to try and undermine the current structure of each association.

However the need for regional representation has become apparent, with regards to possibility of the Eastern Cape one day holding Imacsa, I can not talk for AMAS, but it would be a tall order for East London, if we were fortunate enough to host such a event. So the individual groups working together under one umbrella is far more a achievable task.

I can not go in to much more detail as all of this is still been planned, i would encourage the support from someone in PE, with out it our cause is lost, lets not start a good initiative off by pointing fingers and burning bridges, if that is to be the case then we might aswell close the doors and not carry on with this at all.

I am busy working on a proposal for how this new association will be structured, i will get it to all of the interested party's as soon as i have the first draught complete, and then we take it further with the input of everyone.

Cool i hope this helps a bit as i said earlier we are still working on something and do not want to prematurely screw it up.

GAUTENG MARINE AQUARIST ASSOCIATION (GMAA)

THE PRESERVATION OF THE MARINE AQUARIUM HOBBY

The GAUTENG MARINE AQUARIST ASSOCIATION (GMAA) is a non-profit organization incorporated under Section 21 of the Companies Act No 61 of 1973.

The Association is a group of marine hobbyists brought together by the desire to promote the keeping of marine aquariums.

VISION AND OBJECTIVES

GMAA will strive to be the leading Marine Aquarium and conservation organisation in Gauteng.
GMAA will initiate the formation of national body; SOUTHERN AFRICA MARINE AQUARIST ASSOCIATION (SAMAA) with the same vision and objectives as GMAA.
GMAA with SAMAA will actively seek accreditation with the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, Marine and Coastal Management, and any other Environmental and conservation body, and will actively participate as a representative stakeholder, of the hobby, to Provincial and National Government.
GMAA will assist the other provinces and neighbouring countries to establish similar structures, vision and objectives in each province and or country.
GMAA will provide an outstanding service to its members by:
  • Promoting and enhancing ethical Marine Aquarium keeping as an essential part of sustainable use and conservation of International marine resources
    Promoting the image of Marine Aquarium keeping.
    Promoting public knowledge and appreciation of Marine Aquarium keeping, and encouraging branch members to become conservation-minded
    Facilitating leading research in the Marine Aquarium keeping and conservation industry, and providing directional guidance to communities in South Africa with regard to critical aspects in Marine Aquarium keeping and conservation environments
    Providing high-level training in all aspects relating to the culture and ethics of Marine Aquarium keeping.
    Enhancing members’ Marine Aquarium keeping skills and promoting their conservation activities by continuous education and training, on regional and national levels
    Developing and promoting responsible Marine Aquarium ownership in terms of the relevant legislation
    Enhancing and protecting members’ interests through constructive liaison with the relevant authorities, and participating in consultative and decision-making processes regarding the objectives of the Association
    Defending and promoting the right to Marine Aquarium keeping on behalf of its members
    Facilitating affordable Marine Aquarium keeping opportunities for its members
    Initiating and/or supporting community and development projects that are compatible with the Association’s objectives.
    To act as an information resource for all SA marine aquarists, whether part of a marine aquarium society or not.
    To bring the marine aquarium hobby together within SA, to allow growth and sharing of knowledge and expertise.
    To work with all relevant organisations, both national and international, in order to; educate, inform, and support best practises for sustainability.
    Encourage captive propagation (within the realm of current legislation) and thereby encourage advances in marine aquarium husbandry and further reduce collection impact on the international environment.
    To offer assistance to hobbyists in the establishment and ongoing administration of local marine aquarium societies.
    To actively promote sustainable practices in the hobby, including, but not limited to: captive propagation, both recreationally and commercially, and drastic reductions in mortality rates during collection, handling and holding of animals within the commercial sphere of the hobby once again within the realm of current legislation.
    To act as a stakeholder’s voice National & Provincial Government on issues pertaining to marine aquarium keeping.
    To provide common online resources to enhance the feeling of community amongst reef keepers.

thanks carl just to add the ECMAA will be structured the smae and shares the same views

Hi Reefers

I have taken the libery to post the vision and objectives of GMAA.

This document is dynamic and may be added or deleted too. We have a couple of thing in common:

We like fish, coral, reefs and our tanks.

We want good quality stock at reasonable prices.

We want clarity on our position as hobbiest and those collecting from the wild and, if we do collect from the wild do it responsibly within reasonable realms of the law.

We, collectively want a say in any form of legislation regarding the hobby.

Therefor: We need to stand together, push petty politics and personal agendas aside and DO IT

Kind Regard

Carl

Shouldn't this maybe be
THE PRESERVATION AND GROWTH OF THE MARINE AQUARIUM HOBBY
? Or would the "growth" bit scare the guavamint hippies?

not if it also suites them!!!

My dear Phat, I never suggested anyone is trying to take anything over, if my post seemed provocotive I do apologise it was not meant as such. I was merely stating some things that have to be kept i mind.

Pig and Whistle is a Bakgat idea, great Pork pies.

You say you would need a mission statement and commitee before LFS's etc is approached, I would think it should be the other way around

Let me know about the flyers, we can have them printed through Tammy for very little, I will pay half.

What does the government have in mind for us?

Like I said previously it is a great idea, you are just going to have to be sensitive to the views of all interested parties. That will make the difference between it being just another association or a great one.

http://www.mcm-deat.gov.za/regulatory/lra.html

Download the act here its in pdf format.
Most of the issues in it have been acted apon by the pet traders association of SA.

I disagree with getting the lfs's in right away as i think they would prefer to support a established organisation not a half devised plan by a bunch of thier customers.

Please kanga if you can help with this project it would be greatly appreciated.
Representation in pe is needed.

But lets get together first, Myself and phat are willing to travel if any other guys from el wanna join lets get this started now.

http://www.mcm-deat.gov.za/regulatory/lra.html
I disagree with getting the lfs's in right away as i think they would prefer to support a established organisation not a half devised plan by a bunch of thier customers.

Tridan I do hear what you saying but dont you think if the LFS was part of the process they would be more inclined to make it work

I will help where I can with the greatest of pleasure.

Let me know where, if its a weekend I will be there, Any interested PE guys can get a lift with me if they like

great!!!

my dear phat

O lil Kanga great to have you on board i forgot about tammy could she design us a logo? all we need for flyers now is to advertise the meet about formalising a committee

Back
Top Bottom