All copperband butterfly fish keepers please respond

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by SApicoreef, 18 Nov 2012.

1. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

Hi guys

I just want to know some stuff about your experience with this fish and your tank size, how old was you tank when added the copperband, methods of getting your copperband to eat food, tank mates that you have in your tank and any comments or tips for keeping this beaut

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. marine101

marine101

in my experience, 100% failure rate, hard to feed (best chances with MAC approved). but other (10%) have had success

4. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

Been reading online and I have a plan but just wanted to know how the Sa crew does it

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

4ft

Um, was a long time ago, probably between 3 months and a year old.

I asked the LFS to put some frozen food in the tank and watched closely to see if the fish took the shrimp and then ate some more or if it just spat it out. I was lucky in that my fish ate frozen brine like a pig in the shop. I knew then that I had half a chance of the fish surviving so I took a gamble and bought it, now about 4 years later and he is still with me.

Regal Tang, Foxface, chromis, blennie, gobies and damsel. LPS, Soft Corals and Anemones.

Once it eats then it should be a maintenance free fish, it loves rockwork to hunt and seems to hunt a lot at night looking for pods and tiny feather duster worms.

My one eats only frozen foods, it gets fed 10 blocks a day, every morning and night it gets:- Brine Shrimp with Omega One, Brine Shrimp with Spirulina, Krill, Mysis and finely chopped prawn.

6. SApicoreef

Planning on putting one in a 2 foot cube. Will be the first fish In the tank so I can train it to eat foods if it doesn't ea at the store. Planning on putting in 1 frozen clam from the grocery store a day to start the live brine and so on

What do you guys think?

7. SApicoreef

Also for tank mates was going to go with a mandarin and 3 blue chromis also tank will be sps dominant and will hopefully not go for the corals

8. viper357

My advice, if it's not eating at the store then don't buy it.

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

About a year old

Mine was eating live brine shrimp when I go it from a fellow reefer, so I weaned him off it by tricking him into eating frozen brine. Over the last two years since I've had him, I've tricked him into eating some flakes (colour is the key here, green or brown flakes are looked over, orange ones are taken) He'll also pick at krill superba and when I feel rich I buy some fresh clams from my Portuguese delicatessen and open it up, boy does he love that!
    Regal, fox face (best friends here) three wrasses, one eibli, emperor angel (juvi) striped cardinal, and six clowns. (4 percula, one black and one saddle back)

Make sure he is eating before you get him, otherwise you might be heading for heart ache and stress, seeing a fish die of starvation is not a nice thing:(.
    These fish are fussy, I remember twenty years ago that they were one of the hardest fish to keep, they are still hard today, except the types of food are more widely available. Also they will eat all your tube/fan worms, might pick at your clams and mine even tries to eat my trochus snails if they fall over.

Always ask your self this question, why do you want the copperband, is it because of the fish or your aiptasia problem? Some wont eat Aiptasia.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2012
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

NO
    They both are fuzzy eaters, and both hunt for pods. You will loose either if not both.

I had one, for about 8 months. Ate everything. First feed all the other fish flakes. Then used a big syringe and slowly squirt out a bit of the unfrozen food, close to the rocks and him. He learns quickly that the syringe brings food. Later use the syringe while giving flakes and he did learn to eat flakes as well. Later it was not needed to use the syringe at all, he ate with the others whatever I gave. Then one day he stopped eating. Not even from the syringe. He died about a week later.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Great technique @RiaanP, now that's a post I need to keep, knowledge learnt is like gold. Sorry he died though.:(

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:eek:..:eek:..is this correct...? ONE fish eats 10 meaty blocks a day...:eek:..no wonder the Reefers have these MONSTER skimmers...WOW..:eek:

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

LOL! @viper357, bud your CB must be a monster fish! I wanna see a pic, must look more like a puffer than a CB:p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. SApicoreef

Thanks for all the tips guys. I will try get one that is eating at the store at first but I will probably end up only with the copperband in the tank with 3 or4 chromis in with him so not much competition for food. Wanted to get him in the tank first so I can get him to eat all the foods I want him to eat. Also dont want this fish for my aptasia as I barely have any. Just want it as a show fish for the tank

Thanks for the help guys

Planning to add this fish about half way through December. Closer to Christmas though

The tank will be about 2.5-3 months then with all the clean up crew in and soft corals with probably a hammer

Any comments

Thanks

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

The best of luck with the copperband, don't give up and let us know how it goes.:thumbup:

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How much live rock do you have?
    How many copepods are running around?
    Do you have an extra refugium or other alternative where copepods can copulate and multiply, away from predators?

It is easier to train them in smaller and shallower tanks. With a couple of fish that will not run around like crazy. Its easier if they see other fish eating. But no bullies or fish that behaves as if they have not been fed for a week. In big and deep tanks its almost impossible, as the copperband at first moves away from your arm in the water, trying to get the syringe as close as possible.

Can start with live brine shrimp for first day in the syringe. Next day live mixed with unfrozen brine. As soon as that work, can then only give unfrozen brine. Then start mixing in other types of frozen food.

Give it slowly, a few pods at a time. Do not add them all in one go as the other fish will eat most of it. Close to the rock, mimic copepods running over the rock. Later on the copperband will come to the syringe and almost eat out of it.

17. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

i know most ppl think a cbb is the quickest n easiest way to control aptasia, what i find strange is no1 ever talks about banner fish as an anti-aptasia measure..
    my banner will eat anything put in the tank, when i find a piece of aptasia in the smaller tank, i offer it as pudding! they might not be as colourfull as the ccb, n maybe a bit more jumpy, but for ease of care.... drop in n feed!!

18. viper357

lol, sorry, I didn't word that properly, what I meant was, I feed all of the fish 10 blocks a day, no wait that still doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean, all of the fish eat from those 10 blocks.:)

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:lol:

20. SApicoreef

Thanks or the help every one

Will keep you guts posted on everything that's going on with this fish and my tank in my tank thread

Thanks again

Recent Posts