Alkalinity

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CameL, 24 Dec 2014.

1. CameL

CameL

Hi There,

I know this is a finicky question to ask, but what should i aim to keep my alkalinity on?
    I know people like dallas suggest picking a value and sticking to it, but what should that value be?
    I've been monitoring my alkalinity for a while now, and whilst my other parameters appear stable, alkalinity has been on the slow but steady decline, until this morning it measured at 6.9dkH. I've got kalkwasser in my ato, and im dosing magnesium every couple of days to keep it between 1320 and 1350.
    This morning i noticed a white flaky substance lying on the bottom of my sump, also on one side panel and i think on my heater in my sump, which i presume to be calcium carbonate, on that note, i started using a different brand of kalk yesterday and i have not since measured calcium or magnesium, but yesterday they measured at 400ppm for calcium and 1350ppm for magnesium. Not sure why calcium carbonate is forming atm.
    The alkalinity value is not specified on the salt bucket of the salt im using and i have not measured it on a fresh salt mix.

Regards

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

4. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

Okay so i just measured my calcium, measured at 435ppm.
    So i guess the reason for the calcium carbonate forming is due to an increase in calcium and a decrease in alkalinity, need to measure my alk again soon as i dosed some of orca's alkalinity this morning for the first time, so im giving it time to mix before i measure later.
    I didn't expect the kalkwasser to increase it that much though in a day.

Recent Posts