Alkalinity not rising

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Jason, 3 Oct 2014.

1. Jason

Jason

So i bought myself some new test kits a week ago and started testing and my parameter where whack...

Got Salifert test kits. Problem im having is my Ca was sitting at 500ppm and my alk at 5dkh after testing with the Salifert kits. I got my Ca down to 450ppm but my alk i cannot get higher than 6dkh... I bought a Salifert Ph test kit few days back also as mine expired and my ph was at 8 and got it back up to 8.2-8.3 using a buffer.

Im using Seachem Reef Carbonate to raise my alkalinity. Im aiming 420ppm for my Ca, will the lower Ca bring up my alk?

Im dosing 5ml Seachem Reef Carbonate a day, according to Seachem this will raise my alk by 0.25mg/l

Help would be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Google the importance of mg in the trio relationship. That will sort you out

Last edited: 3 Oct 2014
  4. Jason

Jason Thread Starter

Cool, will get a mg tester also salifert, i have all the teat kits but sera kits but i have noticed the regents some have expired and some not. Think someone mixed them around few months back when i bought it... Mg tested 1200 few mins ago.

5. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Don't talk sera (to me that is)

6. Jason

Jason Thread Starter

Hahaha sorry for the swear word, family forum :)

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

There are 3 vital elements that make up the foundation of the reefs, CA, MG and alk. The importance of MG is very often overlooked but if this parameter is out of balance then you can play all day with CA and Alk and never get it right, Get your MG levels up first, 1350 to 1400, only then test your CA and Alk, MG is vital in balancing out CA and Alk. :)

8. Jason

Jason Thread Starter

Ok, what ive done is. Bought Red Sea Coral Pro salt as my LFS didnt have for a few weeks and this is the only salt i use, i was buying premixed salt as there was no stock of the 7kg and think that i also my main issue.

Done a 30% waterchange and tested all my parameters. Reason for this is the premix salt i bought i tested the parameter and was sitting very low, Ca 350ppm, Alk at 5dkh and Mg at 1100 so i figured that was my main issue and after my waterchange Ca was 440, Alk 9dkh and Mg 1300. Think as i start doing more and more waterchanges my levels will get more stable soon.

Thanks for all the input guys, i would have dosed and dosed getting no where and was so much easier buying premixed salt i didnt think that the parameters would be way out. Think being lazy in this hobby will have some consequences

:thumbup:

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

If you keep Mg in check, others will be fine. Mg is comparable too a stabilizing lattice in the system. Also, if your alk is fine then your Ca will be fine too, they balance each other out.

Recent Posts