Alk test kit shootout

So Salifert and Seachem seemed to be the most accurate, cool. Pity they didn't use more test kits like Tropic Marin etc.

Thanks for the link Alfie :)

Very interesting and nice to see someone has the bells to do it.

This quote is important to us all when purchasing test kits:

"And this brings up a point Only Salifert marks their reagents with an expiration date. Although shelf life is probably at least year or more with the others, it would be comforting to know that reagents are fresh. Expiration dates are standard on Hach reagents, and it is not unheard of in the pet industry (besides Salifert, I seem to recall the German company Dupla once - and perhaps still does - marked their reagents with an expiration date). However, Seachem, on their website, states they will replace ‘old’ reagents (see that site for details)."
Source - Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Product Review: Alkalinity Test Kit Showdown

You have to question a chemical product, if the manufacturer is not prepared to mark the Sell by or Expiry Date.

Seachem include a reference sample in their reef status kits so I see no need for an expiration date guesstimate. I would rather be able to test a reference and check it's working that rely on a expiration date that may or may not be accurate.

Back
Top Bottom