Alk dosing

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Seabass, 3 Feb 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Dosing mg (30 drops of brightwell) & calcium (cap of purple up 5 ml) & iodine (6 drops of brightwell) 2 x a week, wednesday & Saturday's. I do this in an attempt to keep my alk stable, its a new tank running from 22/12/2011. Is this ok to do this?

Also have brightwell kh buffer, in my sump I have a +\- 50 l RO compartment for my auto top up, my question is should I mix RO with kh buffer & put into the auto top up chamber or not?

If yes then how do I go about doing this, system is about 510 l, DT is 430 & sump max capacity is 180 l, but only half full as it is a sump.

Should I also does the calcium, iodine & magnesium in the RO auto top up chamber on a Wed & Sat?

What concerns me is if I do it this way is that over time the concentration level of the products would build up resulting in poisoning my system.

Alternative is to fabricate a drip system for calcium, magnesium & iodine. But this would probably get blocked up soon.

What is my best course of action when it comes to stabilizing alk?

Or have I missed the boat completely . Lol

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

You have to base your alkalnity, calcium and magnesium dosages on your daily consumption especially in a high demand tank. You need to measure your drop in these parameter over a few days and then average the consumption out. There are easier products out there than a million bottles of different products. If you do regular water changes this will dilute chemical build up so you wont need to worry there and bear in mind that skimmers romove some chemicals but dont rely on them to do the job.

The drip system sounds like a pain to maintain and tweak.

Are you having alkalinity swings and problems?

4. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

I find the best and simplist way to maintain Alk is to add a Kalkstirrer. You mentioned that you do have an auto top-up. So basically every time your water top-up kicks in, a small amount of diluted kalk will be added to your system. BrightWells's new Kalk +2 contains Calcium, Magnesium and Strontium.

This works especially well for softy and LPS systems. SPS systems do however require more calcium and magnesium dosing due to the huge consumption demand.

5. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Hi Tony, the tank is so new, just about a month and a half old, just trying to prevent rather than cure a problem latter when things get out of control, so prevention is better than cure as far as I possibly can.

6. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thanks Tiger, now that sounds like a great product. When these are done and dusted will def. Look into it.

Recent Posts