Alk, Ca, Mg, Ph balance.

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by pXius, 19 Oct 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

My Ca and Ph has never been a problem always 8.2-8.4 with fuge light on reverse cycle. I drip Kalk every now and then when Ca goes under 420. So that's about 3 times a week.

Currently I'm struggling to keep a proper balance between these parameters.

My current readings:

Ph. 8.4 (Tropic Marin)
    Alk 5-6 (Tropic Marin)
    Ca 440 (Salifert)
    Mg 1240 (Salifert) Sometimes drops more with Ca still high.

Should I bother to get Mg above 1300 and Alk to 7-8? If so, with what?

Currently dripping Brightwells Kalk+2 if that matters...

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hey Pxius

This has also been a bone of contention with me. I have been using a Kalkstirrer to dose and found out that Kalk becomes useless in the solution after 2 to 3 weeks. Thought I should mention that I have been having major issues with Alk and that seems to have fixed (Changed it out last night)it my ph seems better and my Alk still the same will monitor though. You Alk first of all is VERY low !! What are you keep coral wise ? with those parameters you will experience no growth. You need to balance your parameters eg CA 430, Alk 9 and Mg 1290. If you want to accelerate growth then Ca 460 Alk 12 and MG 1400.

Get yourself some buffer and start buffing things up ;). I use Reef Builder Alkalinity from seacheam as normally when you increase alk you get a raise in PH..

Try out this website if find it very good !

Reef Chemistry Calculator

4. rakabos

rakabos

Which Salt do you use pXius?

5. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

@williet
    Its a mixed reef, some softies, LPS, few SPS pieces and a clam. Won't a buffer cause my PH to increase past 8.4? As for the kalk, I'll admit that I don't always change and sometimes just dd fresh kalk to my mixing bottle...

@rakabos

Red Sea Coral Pro (20% every 2 weeks), doing a 20% WC later today.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. rakabos

rakabos

I also use that salt, havent had issues with it

7. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Definitely a great salt, but I'll have to go get some buffer today. Got 2 new monti plate frags and I don't want them to bleach :p

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

To have both alk and ca balanced at high levels is very difficult to do, but if you pushing a DKH of 12 and CA of over 400 you are running very close to a snow storm. With CA at 440 you can aim for a DKH of about 8 or 9 and you will be spot on, with that balance you should end up with a PH of about 8.5, no problems. Keep mg at about the 1200 - 1300.

pXius and seank like this.
  9. Tony

Tony

Definately up your alkalinity and magnesium. Titration tests arent perfectly accurate and you want some leeway with your alkalinity. Try and up it to about 8KH to play it safe and up your mag to about 1300. Your calcium is fine.

Like mentioned, kalk dripping is a guessing game and the stuff loses potency over time producing erratic results. You need to invest in a more accurate way of maintaining your KH, Ca and Mag, especially if you are interested in SPS corals

10. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thanks @Alan

Did a WC and will test in a few hours. If its still too low I'll start with some Baking soda.

11. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Got some Epson salts for the Mag, starting it tonight :D thanks

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Dripping kalk does no more than maintain a higher PH at most as it needs CO2 to react with, it is best used in conjunction with a calcium reactor where there is an abundance of CO2 in the water. You can maintain CA and ALK levels with Kalk but then have to use the slurry method, advantages of this method is you add balanced amounts of CA and ALK.

13. jacoc

jacoc

I would continue with calk drip but more permanently as doing it in between will throw your readings out like it does ...make a mixture that will last for the week for top-up's and make a fresh butch weekly and only use the clear water not the top crust or the bottom powder...this will keep the ca; ph; alk and mg in place...you should not change and try something new every time the readings go out..rather continue with what you are doing but change the calk drip to daily...you can make a softer solution than recommended if the ca goes up to match but then again what is to match I’m running @560 and mg 1450 and alk 9..it will stabilize ...the route you are following now and by adding Epsom salt and baking soda and-and-and..Is only quick fixes and high maintenance in the end...I stopped dripping calk once to see if the ca won’t come down and all my params ph; alk and mg went wrong ...I started dripping again and within a week everything stabilized..Your mg will follow the ca if you get that up with some help from liquid ca from Kent it will help...don’t ad stuff to up the mg if ca is not in place...First get your ca up and see where the mg levels are from there...

14. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

I did consider this but my Ca is constantly 440-460 so theoretically its in place. My Ph is also spot on. Thats why I decided to try and adjust the alk and Mg which are obviously to low, especially the kh...

15. jacoc

jacoc

many guy's run sps and mixed reefs with these readings...just get your ca up a bit the rest will follow...

16. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Just did a water test yesterday
    Salifert testkits

Alk 9.9
    MG 1200 - Need to fix this

Red sea testkit

CA 550 This confuses me. Must be the Kalkwasser?:eek:

Must say my SPS are exploding !!!!

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  17. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

After my water change yesterday my Kh is back to 7 so I'm going to continue with what @jacoc said and just drip kalk. If my Ca gets to high I'll supplement the other parameters separately.

18. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

t a g g i n g a l o n g :)

19. Braco

Braco

Tagging along right next to you...;)

20. henry888

henry888

Kalkwasser, I swear by it, Ill even drink it my self if I could... I drip it in all my tanks twice a day, that is the only way i replenish lost/evaporated water. I have never had ph, kh, ca etc... problems... But yeah, people don't listen....

:whistling:

This is two months growth....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An this photo was taken 3 weeks ago, Its now made 2 new branches since the photo was taken... ;)

21. Braco

Braco

wow wow and another wow...how do you drip it...and what is your size and your mix ratio...i have kalkwasser but too scared to use...or drip...:blush:

Recent Posts