Alk at 19 dkh

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Mogamatseraajregal, 29 Aug 2010.

1. Mogamatseraajregal

Mogamatseraajregal

Tested water with red sea and alk at offscale high followed by salifert and get no colour change with first one ml syringe only see colour change with after reffiling total alk at nineteen what should i do i overdosed alk up using farly recipe 2 the alk is dropping slowly all other parameters in spec includin mg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mogamatseraajregal

Mogamatseraajregal Thread Starter

Carbönated water

Will this decrease the alk

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Do a test with a diferent kit as well, the reagent in the latest red sea kits were reacting with the plastic vile, so they have sent new glass viles for the shops to distribute and give a correct test.

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

O.k , im a chop , u did test with something else !
    How are the fish reacting ?

hopefully you have a fast evapouration rate , and keep topping up with R.O this will help lower the alk because its " dead water" the tank should slowly settle , but if there are signs of stress now, "prepaired water" changes will have to do.

6. lIghty

lIghty

Adding corbonated water WON'T help.

How is the live stock?
    what is the pH?

How long do you think its been this high? has it been increase by a quick once off overdose or from overdosing by a small amount over a couples?

If the 1st then do a 30% water change.

if the 2nd, then just don't dose anymore alka dn let it come down by itself.

7. Mogamatseraajregal

Specs

It was a once off overdose i did 2 x 30% water changes and it didnt help the ph is perfect at 8.4 all other param perfect the response was a snowstorm for a day my fish were all fine the mushrooms didnt open for two days and the toadstool leather has polyp extension of 4 cm he is lovin the high alk

8. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

This is strange.. If Kalk caused the KH spike your PH should also be right up there..

Are you sure you measured the test properly by deviding your findings in half when you measured the KH?

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

This is impossible, you cant have a DKH of 19 at a ph of 8.4 there is definitely something wrong here.
    Check the DKH with another test kit.
    What is your CA reading?

10. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

I agree, with a KH of 19, the PH should more or less be about 11 to 12. This would then kill all of the live stock..:p

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I tend to disagree that this is impossible. All alk buffers as far as I know have a specific pH that it increases to. The buffer will increase the pH if it is lower up to a certain point. Depending on the buffer used it could be 8.4, 8.6 etc. Once this pH has been reached then the pH remains stable and only the dKH increases. I had a similar thing in my nano. The dKH was sitting at 15 but the pH was only 8.3.

How do you get to a pH from dKH?

12. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Not sure what you used to buffer and you are correct in stating that most marine buffers has a limit to PH and can still raise the KH, but my comments was based on dosing kalk. (Not sure why I thought you used kalk!!) My bad..:p

So, what did you use to buffer??

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Dude, cross check with another test kit. Those Redsea test kits are crap. And please, I would love to know what the Ca reading is.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

He used randys recipe 2 which uses baking soda. Baking soda caps out at 8.4 if I am not mistaken.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2010
  15. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Mr Regal, you should use recipe 1 formula for the buffers as it was mixed in accordance to recipe 1.
    Recipe #1 is for use in reef aquaria whose pH is normal to low. In practice, more reef aquarists end up choosing this recipe than Recipe #2. It will tend to raise pH due to its alkalinity part's elevated pH, as do most of the commercial two-part additives. The increase in pH depends on the aquarium's alkalinity and, of course, on how much is added. Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity increases the pH by about 0.3 pH units immediately upon its addition (and even higher, locally, before it has a chance to mix throughout the aquarium).
    If you are using limewater (kalkwasser) and the aquarium is at pH 8.4 or above, this recipe is not the best choice. Otherwise, it is likely to be a good option. It is twice as concentrated as Recipe #2, because the baking process makes the baking soda more soluble.

Crap....did i say its recipe 2....Crap...i think i did.
    Recipe 2 is half as potent as recipe 1, thus the reason for the Alk spike.
    My apologies! :confused1::oops::imsorry:
    emm, I actually prefer the SERA Alk test kit.

16. Mogamatseraajregal

the way forward

Good day gentleman
    clearly i di not communicate very effectively so here goes
    my readings are all in spec except my alk reading (mikaeel my CA is 480)
    (please remember i am topping up with ro at night dripping kalwasser) 1 teas poon in fiflt litres ro water

the mistake was made by mixing about 100ml of randys recipe number 1 instead of recipe number two as my ph was on the low side at the time and alkilinity at the low side.
    so i thought that dosing the 100ml it would raise my ph slightly and raise the alk significantly buit not as significantly as the *other * recipe

long story short do i 1: change more water (ive allready doen 2 -30% changes doesnt help) 2:add the carbonated water 3 :do nothing and wait for it to come down

but believe me these readings are possible
    i test for alkilinity ,ca,mg,salinity,phosphates and nitrates ,ph temperature daily for the last month

and the only parameter i couldnt get in spec was the alkilinity which was on the low side on red sea 1.6 meql

i think i will wait until it(ALK) drops on its own and not do water changes ,once i hit 11DKH i wll check my daytime and night time ph and then decide on using which recipe but obviuously in a very very slow and diluted fashion

i really apreciate all responses and am learning from each one

17. Alan

With a DKH of 19, it cant be. Sea water cant hold that amount of saturation, you should of had a snow storm long ago. Something is wrong with the readings.

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed, please cross check with another test kit.

19. Alan

Thats because your ca is at 480.

20. Mogamatseraajregal

Snow storm

I had a huge one the mornin after dripping the alkalinity was even higher then thanks alan and meekaeel wish you guys could come over will check and post readings

21. Mogamatseraajregal

Way forward

So i am göna quit the kalk as well

Recent Posts