Alk and CA additives.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
What is everybodies prefered method of adding Calcium and Alk to their systems? Please give a couple of the pros and cons in the method you use.

Ok, I use Seachem Reef Complete, Reef Calcium and Reef advantage for Calcium.
Reef Builder is used for Alkalinity.
Use two top up tubs and they are dosed periodically throughout the month.
Just starting with it now so no pros and cons just yet.

Also don't have any pro's and cons as I have only started dosing lately since I acquired some test kits ;)

Alk - fill 5 litre jug with RO, add 5 spoons (25ml) Seachem Reef Builder, stir and dump the whole lot into the sump at the return pump.

Similar method for Calcium but dosage varies.

Both done once a week or when necessary.

Does a calcium reactor count??

I do it in a similar way to Viper.

Alkalinity I first test, calculate what I need to add and then mix that quantity up in a cup of RO water and add to my sump near the return pump.

Calcium added in a similar way, but not as much needed as I have a softies only tank. I don't add calcium at the same time I add buffer to prevent possible precipitation.

Pro's - quick and easy. Also I know exactly what is in the products I use so can dose with confidence.

Con's - need to add regularly which can be a hassle. When my auto-top off is eventually set-up I would like to add my buffer to the auto top-off water and dose it like that.

Clinton

Calcium reactor charged with CaribSea Aragonite and ZEOvit Magnesium.

Buffer alkalinity every 2 weeks or so with SeaChem Reef Builder.

Only con is a slight dip in PH from the CA reactor.

Daily dosing of Pure Reef Supplements Calcium Booster and kH Buffer. Small amounts daily prefered over larger weekly amounts. Pros are its easy, cons are its another daily act to remember.

First choice: calcium reactor AND kalk dripper (keeps the pH balanced this way...)

Second choice (and using it at the moment, as I've run out of Ca reactor media...): Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley's balanced DIY alkalinity, calcium and magnesium supplements. Works great - just a little expensive for a 1200 liter system. The supplements are calcium chloride and magnesium chloride (CP grade) bought from a laboratory supplyer, and baked bicarbonate of soda (koeksoda...) and Epsom salt (Engelse sout, aka. magnesium sulphate...) bought from the local chemist.

Hennie

Hey Hennie when we going to see some pics of your tank ;)

Calcium Reactor and Kalk stirrer
Pro's: once you get the settings right it's pretty hassle free supplimentation, less expensive over the long term.
Con's: if something goes wrong (equipment failure) the Ph level
could crash the system.

Dragonreef where could I purchas some ZEOvit Magnesium?

Hey Hennie when we going to see some pics of your tank ;)
Oh, I didn't know that anyone was interested - it's just a modest old tank, complete with bubble algae and aiptasia, but if you REALLY insist I suppose I could post some photos this weekend...

Hennie

Oh, I didn't know that anyone was interested - it's just a modest old tank, complete with bubble algae and aiptasia, but if you REALLY insist I suppose I could post some photos this weekend...

Hennie

I very much doubt it would be modest :)

Yes please, we would love to see some pics ;)

I dose daily with supplements. Don't really have a choice seeing that my systems are so small....hehe. Mostly use PureReef but every now and then I try a different one.

Pros and Cons have already been mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom