Algea problem

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Giepie, 14 Apr 2009.

1. Giepie

Giepie

Hi all
    I have a question to the pro's regarding algea... Everything in my 60L nano was going well... untill.... ... I spotted this algea:
    [​IMG]

A little bit about the algea: It's soft, comes off by just rubbing on it, but spreads like wildfire... I bought myself a soft bristle brush & washed the algea off, but after a week it was back...

Question: Is this bad news or not. If bad, what did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Nothing in my readings / test results changed, but it appreared out of nowhere... It doesn't affect the fish at all, but it doesn't look nice and the fact that it's spreading to fast, is a big concern to me...

Pleez help...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Are you refering to the purple stuff?

4. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Purple/maroon'ish stuff, yes...

5. Tony

Tony

It's called corraline algae. It's a calcerous algae and very desirable. Don't stress about it and encourage it's growth. It benefits from calcium and magnesium additions

6. Jaak

Jaak

That's Cyano. It could be that you have too little flow in your tank, or in that part of your tank. What do you have for flow in your tank?

Last edited: 14 Apr 2009
  7. brentnorm

brentnorm

I tend to agree with Tony here. Corraline algae is beneficial. If its not slimey its ok.

8. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks Jaak
    A box filter (250L/h) positioned in the middle of the tank's one side
    and
    a marine powerhead (also 250L/h) positioned towards the front of the tank on the same side as the box filter... to creatre a sircular flow around my pile of LR... obvouisly not enough if flow is my problem...

9. Jaak

Jaak

I'm afraid that might not be enough for your tank. You should look at getting a wavemaker that can pump around 1500 - 2000L/h for your nano. In my 120L nano i've got 5000L/h flow from 2 different wavemakers and my return pump. That gives me around 41 times my watervolume turned over in an hour. You should try to get at least 40 times water turnover in your tank, you currently have around 8 times turn over.

@Tony & brentnorm, corraline won't just rub off as Giepie stated...

Giepie likes this.
  10. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Like always - Jaak, makes perfect sence now... I think it's time I get that "inherrited" 1.7m up and running... My nanno got no sump, so I think this is just nature's way of telling me to get my a$$ in gear...

40 X is a lot of water to move around, but yes, makes sence... The more the movement, the stronger the flow - The stronger the flow, the less chance algea will have to get their grip on something... also other factors like oxydation, etc, will also benefit...

11. Jaak

Jaak

Now you have to post pics of that 1.7m tank!! You must get that up and running asap! Think of the ocean and how much flow there is around a coral reef. Green Hair Algea on the other hand will grow on the front end of your wavemaker!!;)
    Maybe you should ask jacquesb if you can go have a look at his 2m tank seeing that we all live in the same area...

12. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Jaak, the 1.7 is coming home this weekend. My 1st priority is the stand. I don't have the cash now to buy a galvanized stand and one made from 25mm Marine ply with 8 x 15cm thik beams as leags will also be good (and cheaper), but Ashraf (the genius that he is) came up with another idea... Building blocks... I bought 12 x building blocks so long (of the cash I have left for "entertainment" in my budget) and will be getting another 4 at the end of the month... Enough to be at the hight I want. Then with 2 x 25mm thik Marine ply sheets as the base and.... voila... a strong enough stand to turn into my own shak... There will be ample space on the bottom for my sump. Then I can build the cabinet around it at my own time... no rush...

I'm into this hobby and it's all thanks to you guys (and gals). I'm going to start with this right at the bottom of the log: fish with LR... I was just thinking... my 2 clowns in that size tank... I'll have to get them a GPS as well, cos they might get lost searching for food... LOL
    :biglaugh:

Recent Posts