Algea Prob?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 26 Jun 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

Should i be worried that the algea hair is covering so much?

[​IMG]

Is this cyno? bad? good?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sammy

Sammy

You tank looks like its quite mature already ? Pls post you PHOS and Nitrate readings ? What filtration are you running ? Water changes?

Have you any grazers ?

From the looks of it, I would be concerned ?

4. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

Its about 7 - 8 weeks old. The LR is very mature, came out of another reefers tank. Filtration is skimmer (TS1) and DBS in the sump. Havent done a water change yet but will be doing one soon. No grazers, only 2 clowns.

Not sure what the phos is, will test and nitrates are good.

5. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

want to get some crabs in, which are good grazers? i was thinking red and blue legged?

6. bothal08

bothal08

I'm having the same prob as u...so I'm tagging along

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you have a look at the pics of my tank in this article Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa it's quite normal to experience this in new tanks. My advice would be to reduce your lighting hours to 6 hours a day, no water changes, and when the algae gets very long pull it out, get yourself a couple of hermit crabs and snails, after a couple of months it should all disappear. Have you got any pumps in the tank? How big is the tank?

8. rakabos

rakabos

If the tank has cycled and is big enough add a tang, maybe a scopas or yellow tang. They may helps with that algae also

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  9. Tony

Tony

Boost your baterial population to reduce the phosphates and nitrates which is fuelling the GHA but more importantly you need to find the source of the pollution which could stem from not using RO water but tap water for top ups and preparing salt water, using water from public aquaria or NSW where the pollution is high, overfeeding etc etc

10. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

Its probably over feeding. I only have two clowns which i feed half a block of ocean nutrition brine shrimp but some of it doesn't get eaten. I have reduced light times, will get tang and crabs (that was the plan anyway) and see how things go. Using RO water so its not that.

Prodibio is in my future so that'll boost the bacteria pop, will give some feedback, see how it goes.

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

an update on your water parametres would help alot. It is normal to experience algae growth but that gha is quite hectic. Have you got any corals on that piece of lr thatscovered by the gha. Ill take it out and then i will wash it in some salt water and put it back in tank. Are you running a phosphate remover? Ill definitely feed less. Do the clowns eat flaked food. maybe feed them a good quality flake food and occasionally brine shrimp and make sure they eat em all. Feed brine shrimp when you have a few more shrimp and a clean up crew that will eat all the uneaten food that settles somewhere in your tank and causing a rise in nutrients and phosphates. maybe a cleaner shrimp and a hermit and some snails,turbos will do. then think of adding something like purigen and phosguard. that will help with the algae and cyano.how much flow have you got?

12. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

Flow is good, will do test tomorrow.

13. Ari

Ari

I had exactly the same problem in my old tank, but once I got snails and hermits it started to dissappear. I also did some removing now and then and added bacteria... I suggest, like Viper said, reduce lighting period. Good Luck :)

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Good luck on getting rid of this. I also had this.

I did the following

large water changes, manual removal of algae, PO4 remover reduced photo period till the problem came right. I also raised me mg to 1450ppm till the problem went away.

15. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

My blue legged hermits don't eat GHA at all... :eek:

Recent Posts